Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Statement by Governor Jan Brewer

"The State of Arizona has long been the home to defenders of personal liberty and the freedoms enshrined and protected by the Constitution of the United States and our State Constitution. I believe strongly in the individual rights and responsibilities of a free society, and as Governor I have pledged a solemn and important oath to protect and defend the Constitution.

"Today I signed Senate Bill 1108, the constitutional carry bill. I believe this legislation not only protects the Second Amendment rights of Arizona citizens, but restores those rights as well. I am joined in support of this legislation by both Republican and Democratic members of the Arizona legislature, and I laud the strong number of bipartisan supporters who join with me to defend the rights of our citizens."

(Note that this was a project of the Arizona Citizens Defense League, which was not supported by the NRA last year. That was a factor in its failure to pass in the final, marathon senate session. This year, NRA decided to get on board.)

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
This will be very interesting to watch. I expect a great big yawn! After all, I'm still waiting for the rivers of blood that were supposed to occur after the lapse of the assault weapons bill.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SpecialEd said:
This will be very interesting to watch. I expect a great big yawn!
Will it be a great big yawn as other states follow suit? Compare Arizona to Iowa, where NRA actively opposed Freedom To Carry. We narrowly missed passing constitutional carry last year through a combination of a crunch at the end of the legislative session and the failure of NRA to get on board. This year they were convinced of the virtue of supporting us.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Let me clarify, I think it's a great thing! I said "great big yawn" in contrast to what many nay-sayers see as the end of civilization as they know it. Even if everyone in the state started carrying concealed at once, the change would go unnoticed to most citizens until they saw the drastic decline in crime. Just as the Brady bunch declared "the streets will run with blood" if the AWB was allowed to lapse and nothing, even remotely like that, happened.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts