Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has come to my attention that Extrude Hone is considering expansion of their hydraulic polishing services to include pistol barrels submitted by individual firearm owners and gunsmiths. The process is already available to manufacturers. (S&W reportedly uses this process on their SW1911 barrels.)

Extrude Hone is better known for their "Power Flow" commercial services, a variant of the Extrude Hone polishing process tailored for hod-rod engine parts. The company is also commercially related to Cation, better known for their manufacture of ECM rifled barrels and choke tubes. (Nowlin, Freedom Arms, and Remington have been amongst their industry clients.)

Anyhow, they are looking for publicly recognizable gunpersons to T&E this process to see if it is worth the company's time to offer the service on a wider basis.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
It is a fact that S&W uses the process and it has been used for years by FNMI in Columbia, SC for finishing of M249 barrels.

S&W also uses ECM for rifling the "J" frame barrels although I don't recall whose equipment they use.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charlie Petty said:
S&W also uses ECM for rifling the "J" frame barrels although I don't recall whose equipment they use.
Is this for all J-Frames, or just the barrel inserts used for the Ti and Sc Airlites?

P.S.: Would it be alright if I were to point the Extrude Hone rep in your direction? (I have no business/financial interest with the company. I just happened to encounter the follow online.)

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
It was originally used for all "J" frames and the last time I was there the fixture was still for normal barrels although it certainly could be used for the "barrelettes" if they wanted.

I'm academically curious but can make no promises about ink. Give him my prodigy e-mail if you like.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are a couple of pictures to go along with the thread. I was personally familiar with each of the three barrels' condition prior to processing, and I'm told that these photos do not do them justice.

This barrel showed pitting prior to processing.

This barrel had heavy lead fouling.

This barrel looks better than new. Note the reflection of the fingerprint in the last photo.

Here are all three barrels together.

FWIW: The barrels are currently in Columbia, SC and are available for examination by interested parties.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts