Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone possibly clear something up for me. I keep hearing that the Clinton ban sunsets on September 13th. That gave me the impression that it expires at midnight of September 13th/14th (Monday night).

When I look at the count down clock on http://www.awbansunset.com/ it indicates that it will end on midnight of the 12th/13th, essentially, Sunday night. Can anyone elaborate on this? When can the celebration (hopefuly) begin? Thanks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The AWB is found at Title 18 U.S.C Sec. 922(v), which provided in part:
(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to manufacture, transfer, or possess a semiautomatic assault weapon.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal law on the date of the enactment of this subsection [enacted Sept. 13, 1994].
The AWB was "repealed effective as of the date that is 10 years after" Septeber 13, 2004. 103 Pub.L. 322, Sec. 110105.

Under the general rules of statutory construction, the 1st day of the 10 year period (September 13, 1994) does not count and the last day does count. So, the last day of the ban is September 13, 2004, and the ban will expire at 0001 on Spetember 14, 2004.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am anxiously countin the days and watchin carefully. If nothing SNAFUS the death of the AWB, what yall think will happen next? Will manufacturers have the stones to begin sellin mags with more than 10 rd capacity ? Or will they kinda sit back and feel things out? I just finished sendin in my Texas Concealed Handgun Renewal, and would love to get a hi cap mag for my new Glock, and it would be a plus if i could buy it at a normal price

·
Registered
119 Posts
how many days in the congress in session before 9-13? gun bans aside, everytime congress meets, it usually costs me money or liberty.

mike

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
IIRC: 6 working days. maybe only 5.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts