Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun Recoil Claims Life of 12 Year Old Boy
A 12-year-old San Antonio boy died Saturday afternoon south of Giddings when he was struck on the top of the head by the recoil of a Ruger .454 gun he was firing. The boy, identified by the Lee County Sheriff's Office as Marcus Wall, was pronounced dead at the scene by Justice of the Peace Paul Fischer.
The rest o'the story…

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
Not a word about the boy's death either in the TV news or our one "news" paper.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
.454 is a bit much for a 12 year old, but I wouldn't think it would be enough to end his life. Sheesh.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Mad Ogre said:
.454 is a bit much for a 12 year old, but I wouldn't think it would be enough to end his life. Sheesh.
I could see it happening. This kind of reminds me of an event from almost 15 years ago. I had just recently gotten in a Magnum Research Desert Eagle in 50AE and my mother was at work and made a crack that she had yet to see a gun she would not shoot. So, we went outside and set up a target and mounted muffs on her.

Mind you my mother was at the time 5'2" 140# and in her mid 50's. For those of you who have handled a DE50, you remember that it weighs almost 5# empty. I loaded the gun and handed it to her. She took a stance and raised the gun on target. Just before pressing the trigger back, she unlocked her elbows and bent them to keep the gun up --- I started screaming at her --- NOOOOOOOOO!!! But I was to late ---- she did a bunny hop backwards and her arms flew up trying to regain control over the gun. Luckily, she was able to stop it about 1/8" before it hit her (would have hit her right between the eyes!!!).

Needless to say, she has never picked up THAT gun again, nor has she made any comment about how she can "shoot" any gun!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Pure speculation on my part:

I wonder if the additional hand applied to "help" the boy prevented normal recoil from raising his hands and arms, but served as a pivot point causing the gun to rotate backward, causing the muzzle, with the front sight, to strike him and puncture his skull.

Let's keep track of this. It is bound to cause a host of "urban legends" even though it happened out in the boondocks.

And, Sarah B. & her ilk will use it to serve their needs.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
About 2 or 3 years ago, a fellow who worked at a local gunshop and who had considerable experience with heavy caliber handguns (.44 Mag, .454 Casull) accidentally killed himself shooting a DE in .50 AE. The recoil from the first round brought the gun back up under his chin, and he inadvertently fired a second round, taking off the top of his head. Even experienced shooters need to be extra careful with the big maggies.
Personally, I figure the heaviest caliber I might ever need in a sidearm is .44 Magnum. If I need something more powerful than that to do whatever job is at hand, I'll reach for a rifle. More precision and WAY more power.

A sad thing for that family. Dad should have known better....

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tim B. said:
The link has changed. The current one for that story is: http://www.lexingtonleader.com/story17.shtml
Thanks, it's been fixed. I have a feeling that it's going to need to be fixed again in the not-too-distant future.
There is lots of speculation on the 1911 forum that this is an urban legend or a hoax, even though the link is posted, as if someone would go to that trouble.
They may actually be right…
  1. There is no other reference to this event or decedent anywhere which I can find.[/*:2gkv60by]
  2. While there is a "Justice of the Peace Paul Fischer," since when do they "pronounce" anyone anything other than "man and wife" or "Guilty!"[/*:2gkv60by]
  3. I am struck by that positively goofy photo of "Lee County Sheriff Chief Deputy Rodney Meyer" on that page… Sam, isn't this a tad out of the ordinary even for Texas?!?[/*:2gkv60by]
I don't know… it is a bit elaborate (and morbid) for a hoax, but there's always that possibility.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Well, creating a website for a hoax is more trouble than CBS would go through, so we can rule them out. The coroner in the town I grew up in was an elected position, maybe there are places where the JP serves that function. I think you are right about the link changing as it ages. I am surprised this hasn't been picked up by the media.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Richard Jefferies said:
About 2 or 3 years ago, a fellow who worked at a local gunshop and who had considerable experience with heavy caliber handguns (.44 Mag, .454 Casull) accidentally killed himself shooting a DE in .50 AE. The recoil from the first round brought the gun back up under his chin, and he inadvertently fired a second round, taking off the top of his head. Even experienced shooters need to be extra careful with the big maggies.
According to an individual who was there at the incident and administered CPR, the bullet struck Shawn in the face under one eye. While no one actually saw what happened until it was too late, the theory is that he was trying to shoot the DE one-handed, lost his grip in recoil, and was trying to keep the pistol from falling to the floor. Unfortunately, he probably got a finger into the trigger guard and let off the fatal round which ended up in the ceiling. The lesson here is to avoid the temptation to catch a bobbled pistol.

However, I'll cop to letting a .454 Super Redhawk conk me in the head once. I was simply holding too loosely. Needless to say, I remembered not to do that again for the remaining rounds. It is however the most violent handgun I've ever shot, including a .45-70 Contender and a .308 Lone Eagle (sans muzzle brake). I've even fired Bowen converted Redhawks in .475 and .500 Linebaugh that were nowhere close to being as bad as the .454. The thing wants to torque sideways through your grasp, hammering your thumb and trigger finger in the process.

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
Dean said:
I am struck by that positively goofy photo of " Lee County Sheriff Chief Deputy Rodney Meyer " on that page… Sam, isn't this a tad out of the ordinary even for Texas?!?
The "uniform" is consistant to what's seen in some counties. The goofy grin isn't norm.

While Giddings isn't a town the San Antonio TV-news would normally cover, the boy was a San Antonian and this should have drawn some coverage plus the fact that a evil handgun was involved. I'll see if I can learn any thing more...

amended...............................

I found his obit in the San Antonio Express. Nothing about manner of death. http://obits.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?type=0&id=37186

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Dan, thanks for the correction. I never did get the straight dope on that story until now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts