Gunhub.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm out of the loop because I've never heard of these before.

They are a plastic adapter that looks like a film canister-they make them in C and D cell size.You unscrew them and put a AA inside so you can use AA batteries in just about everything.

They are in a catalog called Gearup (gearup.com).You get 4 D size,4 C size,4 AA rechargeable,and 4 AAA rechargeable batteries;plus a charger in a case for 59.95.

I have solar battery chargers and would like to have everything take AA's,so it sounds good.

I am going to see if anyone sells the adapters seperate-I really don't need the charger.

Thoughts?Anyone have these?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Since the AA has far less amperage than a C or D cell, it won't last long at all. Combine that with the lower amperage capacity of rechargeables and it may not work at all.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Battery Adapters

I have some of these but haven't used them. I think I found them in a 'surplus' store. If you want to standardize battery size and can accept the lesser capacity, they should work fine. I just buy batteries by the box in all the common sizes and use them over time rotating stock. Besides having a pretty fair supply, they would make good trading stock in a SHTF situation.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Those adapters sound cool. I have recently been reading up on how to recharge regular alkaline batteries. It seems that it is fairly easy and performance is close to other rechargeable batteries.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Having the ability to use AA batts in a flashlight when the Ds are spent would be pretty useful in an emergency (assuming you have some good AAs to use). In most cases, it wouldn't be very practical though.

Standard battery sizes are all 1.5 volts so they will work fine. However, the reason that big Maglight uses D batteries is because the current draw is pretty severe for that bright (hot) lamp. Using AAs in your 4XD Maglight will give you light to dig your jack and spare tire out of the trunk, but it'll probably peter out before you get the tire changed.

Changing over to the smaller sized batteries might look like a good option, on paper, but would be inconvenient in practice.

·
Registered
671 Posts
A better choice would be to size your appliances to match your battery supply. With the new LED flashlights, you can get acceptable performance from lights that use AA batteries.

I agree with the earlier replies that a AA battery will not supply the required current to replace a C or D battery for more than a few moments. I have made a few battery boxes to extend the life of small items that I consider essential for a survival kit. These consist of AAA, AA, C, and D rechargable batteries. I can tell you from experience that the C and D batteries have much greater capacity and that you cannot depend on AAA or AA batteries to supply more than a few minutes of power to an item designed to operate from C or D batteries. PM me if you want any additional details.

·
Registered
687 Posts
V mans right, led is the way to go imho. A minimag with some AA's works well, but there are better ones.

I use the following in my kit as well as around the house: 2D maglite, 2 mini maglites in AA, 3C streamlight twintask (last for over a week fully on on 3 led settings) it also has 6 led mode and a xenon mode, then for kicks I also got the same model in 2D, and finally a little inova led light with lith. battery..its small and light and the battery will last damn near a long time.

those batt kits wont work right no matter what you do and i hate rechargeables b/c now they only seemt o have NiMh and they are only 1.2 volts where as the older nicads werent.

·
Registered
222 Posts
CJM said:
<snip>

those batt kits wont work right no matter what you do and i hate rechargeables b/c now they only seemt o have NiMh and they are only 1.2 volts where as the older nicads werent.
Have you any experience with Lithium-ion rechargables?

Bill

·
Registered
687 Posts
Just Plain Bill said:
CJM said:
<snip>

Bill
none so far Bill, when i purchased those lights my intentions were that of 1. having a redy avaible supply of batteries, since all take common sizes there should be no problems, 2. they last very long for the amount of batteries needed.

So far the only rechargables I can find are Nickel Metal Hydrate, and they all suck as the voltage is to low. I used to have some fine nicads but after not using them for a bit they exploded.

You have a source for this lith-ion rechargables?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just found some LiIon rechargables at HamCom in Arlington. I will check with the dealer and see what the specs are. He wanted $5.00 each for the batteries and $15.00 for the charger. Maybe worth it, maybe not. The non-rechargable versions are $1.37 each. Depends on the voltage and capacity and cycle life of the rechargables if they are worth anything. If I get any additional info, I will post it for you'all.

·
Registered
222 Posts
CJM said:
Just Plain Bill said:
CJM said:
<snip>

Bill
none so far Bill, when i purchased those lights my intentions were that of 1. having a redy avaible supply of batteries, since all take common sizes there should be no problems, 2. they last very long for the amount of batteries needed.

So far the only rechargables I can find are Nickel Metal Hydrate, and they all suck as the voltage is to low. I used to have some fine nicads but after not using them for a bit they exploded.

You have a source for this lith-ion rechargables?
This site should help, I will hunt around for some more.

http://www.batterymart.com/

Bill

·
Registered
671 Posts
I talked to this guy at a ham radio show over the weekend. I am trying to get a few other officers to go in on the batteries and chargers (trying for a bulk rate). If it goes through, I will post my experiences with it.

I have not dealt with this guy before (I did buy a flashlight from him at the show) so can't vouch for his reliability yet. I did like his displays and he seemed knowledgeable. He told me that the LiIon rechargables have about 80% of the capacity of non-rechargables.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts