Gunhub.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Canon S40 almost two years ago and the Canon Li-ion NB-2L Battery Pack is starting to not hold a charge very well… the booklet says that it's rated for 300 "charge cycles," and I guess I've done that in spaces!

I toddled off to the nearby Best Buy store and the SOBs wanted $54.95 for a (non-Canon) replacement! Whooooooooa, talk about your "sticker shock!"

I poked around on the web and there were also a ton of replacement types ranging in price from $16.00 to almost $40, including this little beauty at $20.00, plus $4.00 delivery. (Interestingly, that site came up on not only a Google search for "NB-2L," from a link on the Amazon.com "NB-2L" page.

Anyone have any track record with this type of "replacement" battery?

Or replacement batteries in general?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Dean, I have the same camera. (Canon s40) Last march I bought a generic battery to take along on a cruise. The battery only lasted about 9 months. It now won't take a charge. It turns on the green light on the charger (full charge) the second you put it in the charger. The battery says MUGEN POWER on the back. I guess the generic route is a crap shoot. I'm going on another cruise this year and will have a new CANON battery to take along. I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I trolled eBay for a while (fishing context, not idjut context) and came up with a decent battery for my Digital Rebel for less than $15. Compared to the OEM price, it could last for 6 months and I'd still be happy. So far it's lasted heck - probably 6-8 months. Still going strong. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have 3 factory Canon batteries. 15 Dollar cheapos could crap out when you need them the most or corrode. So of the cheapos will last a lifetime and some of them go sour in a few weeks.

YMMV

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've tried a couple of aftermarket cells and neither lasted for more than a few weeks. Cameras were a Nikon D100 and a Sony DSC-F717. The original batteries are still going strong. Sony is 3 years old and the Nikon is about 2.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I got a "ENERGIZER" last time for my Canon digital. The "ENERGIZER" name is licensed from Eveready Battery Company by a company called Technuity Inc. (http://www.technuity.com) So far it lives up to the Energizer name. It's about a year old now and going strong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts