Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/garand/sighting.htm

Why am I so confused understanding how to set up my rear sight? The battle sight zero is supposed to be where? For me, 6 clicks off the bottom is 50yd zero. I haven't messed with setting the elevation knob to "battle zero" before.

Is this assuming you are sighted in at 300yds? This doesn't seem to include elevation correction or am I completely missing something?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Don't worry about it. You are doing it right. The important thing is to know your clicks. I have absolutely no idea where the marks are on the elevation knob of my rear sight. But I do know that on my favorite John C. Garand match rifle, the rear sight is 9 clicks up from bottom for 100 yards and 11 clicks for 200 yards and the windage mark on the back is dead center for zero wind.

Some time ago we went to a J.C.G. match that was being shot at 100 yards. I couldn't remember at what distance I had last fired the rifle. So I bottomed the sight and came up 9 clicks. My first sighting shot went into the ten ring and I just had to add one click for wind.

Know your clicks and don't worry about marks on knobs.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
JAS is right. We were taught to "Count the clicks". Why? because you weren't allowed to use a flashlight or match to look for the little zero on the knob when you set off on a night mission or if the SHTF and you grabbed your rifle out of the rack or wherever you had it stored. And yes, we always stored the rifle with the rear sight fully down to prevent it from being bent or otherwise moved or damaged if (heaven forbid) you dropped it or it got knocked over.

I have both my M1 and M14 clicks memorized so if I need either one in a hurry I might not have time to look for the little zero.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts