Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SCI-FI Readies Battlestar Galactica

SCI FI has signed director Michael Rymer (Queen of the Damned) and actors Jamie Bamber (HBO's Band of Brothers) and Katee Sackhoff (Halloween: Resurrection) for the new four-hour original miniseries Battlestar Galactica. Production begins in Vancouver in March. Battlestar Galactica will air exclusively on SCI FI in late 2003.
:soap:

For those that remember the television series about a ragtag fugitive fleet trying to make it back to Earth, this may seem like good news. For those that never let go of the series and have been pushing for a re-introduction, this is a nightmare.

Now for some background… Battlestar Galactica was created by producer Glen A Larson in 1978. Shortly thereafter the show was cancelled in 1979. The reason was ABC didn't think the show was profitable enough. While ratings initially were good, the episodes were expensive to film. After canceling Battlestar Galactica ABC realized they made a blunder. To fix it they hired back Glen A. Larson and released Galactica 1980. Now the premise was the fleet finally made it to Earth. Lorne Green (played Adama in Battlestar) was the only key actor that came back. Both Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict bowed out of the new series. They were smart. The show was terrible. After 10 episodes the new series was cancelled.

Thanks to the internet the fans of Battlestar Galactica were able to unite and keep the Galactica story alive. Glen A. Larson never let go of the story either. He wanted to see Galactica back on the air. At the time Star Trek: The Next Generation was in its early seasons and thriving. What better time than to release a new Galactica series! He wasn't the only person wanting to see this happen. Original series star Richard Hatch (Captain Apollo) reached into his own pockets and had a trailer made for his proposed Galactica motion picture called Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming. Hatch took his trailer to Universal Studios where they loved it but did nothing. Larson wasn't too thrilled with Hatch going on his own so he came up with a new idea, his version of Battlestar would be about the Battlestar Atlantis searching for the Galactica. The fans of the original series preferred the version from Richard Hatch but in the end neither went anywhere. Universal Studios had other things to work on.

As time passed the Galactica idea bounced from person to person and studio to studio. The original series is in syndication and more people are being introduced to the perils of the Galactica. Fast forward to today: Out of the clear blue you have the Sci-Fi cable channel (owned by Universal) interested in doing Battlestar Galactica. Before the fans could get excited, the Sci-Fi version is what they call a "reimagination." That means they are not going to pick up where the old series left off. They are going to re-invent the wheel and come up with their version of the Galactica going off in search of Earth. Of course that means a whole new cast and none of the original actors that were pushing for a new Galactica. Oh, and Glen A. Larson is not involved either.

This is met with serious resistance from the diehard Galactica fans. Some have been waiting 25 years for a new series. The younger fans started watching the reruns on cable and became addicted to the show too. Now there are five petitions circulating online, including one for people to boycott commercial advertisers on Sci-Fi.

I for one was hoping for a continuation of the original series (not the Galactica 1980 fiasco) with the original cast members. It worked for the original Star Trek series with motion pictures and even spawned off The Next Generation series. I think that if Universal were to follow the lead of films like X-Men, Spiderman, etc, they could release a motion picture of Galactica that would bring them a ton of money. Then they could either switch over to a television mini-series or even a full series. With what is on primetime nowadays, anything would be better than these reality shows.

I'll get off my soapbox now…

To check out a site for diehard Galactica fans click here

For the complete Sci-Fi press release click here

·
Registered
3 Posts
Moores Mini isnt Battlestar Galactica

I hope the Scifi channel never Green lights this project, A redo is not what we fans need, We wont a show or movie based on the Original series and themes, with Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict. To lead the Rag tag fleet to earth, The Events in "Galactica 1980", Never happen, The final battle vs the Cylons must be answered and Universal is making a huge mistake with Ron Moore. The Gold mine is with the Original! Long live the "Battlestar Galactica" :roll:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad to be here

Know about the 25TH Yahern Reunion of Battlestar Galactica: galacticon.com :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Web Address for covention

galacticonevents.com/ Starbuck told me! :lol: :soldier:

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the site. Very cool! I saved it in my favorites.

While I still hope that the Sci-Fi channel will come to their senses and do right by the Battlestar Galactica fans, reality is they probably just don't care.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the opening narration for the television version of "Saga of a Star World" (the Battlestar Galactica pilot episode):

"There are those who believe... that life here... began out there. Far across the universe. With tribes of humans... who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians... or the Toltecs... or the Mayans... that they may have been the architects of the Great Pyramids... or the lost civilizations of Lemuria... or Atlantis..."

"Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man... who even now fight to survive somewhere beyond the heavens."

(Narration by Patrick Macnee.)

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
BG & Buck Rodgers Reruns

I trust that you Battlestar Galactica fans are aware thet Scifi is currently showing blocks of restored episodes during the dayime (11:00 AM/Noon to about 4:00 pm during the week), on Tuesdays.
I'd forgotten how really bad "Battlestar Galactica 1980" really was, compared to the previous aseries. Wow.
On the other hand, the restored episodes that I have caught haven't "aged" as badly as some of the things I thought were 'cool' back then.

"Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century" has also been restored and on Scifi recently.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The "New" Battlestar Galactica will premier tomorrow night at 9:00PM on the Sci Fi channel. I watched the promo show on SciFi this morning. It was great to see the original Apollo and Starbuck talking about the original series and the new version. Starbuck (Dirk Benedict) sat down for coffee with the "new" Starbuck at, of all places, Starbucks. Dirk is classic! He whipped out two cigars and presented one to Katee Sackhoff and said it was an official Starbuck cigar. He then went on to take out his lighter and said he didn't see any non-smoking signs. Katee looked like she was ready to crawl under the table.

About the only thing that resembles the original series are the Vipers. The story is the same but redone into a modern day interpretation. I for one will tune in tomorrow night and watch but thankfully the complete original series (one season) is now available on DVD.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, after watching the new mini-series with an open mind I hope more than ever that Glen Larson can find a way to make a Galactica motion picture based on the original 1978 version with the remaining original cast.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, I tried. I gave it a shot. I watched the whole first season of the new Battlestar Galactica series. I tried to keep an open mind. I even thought there was hope for the show when they brought back Richard Hatch. But in the end, this reminded me more of a dark and sinister Lost in Space than Battlestar Galactica.

Thankfully the original series is available on DVD. Now more than ever, I hope Glen Larson can put together the backing for a Battlestar Galactica motion picture.

[IMG=left]http://www.amback.com/images/uploaded/battlestar_galactica.jpg[/IMG]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts