CUDA™ ARCLITE
CUDA™ ARCLITE
BECKER KNIFE & TOOL CAMPANION
LEV-R-LOK
LEV-R-LOK
BUCKMASTERS GUTHOOK HUNTER
LEV-R-LOK
CUDA™ E.D.C

The shopping cart is being worked on. You should be able to navigate it soon.

Fernando

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info

Haven't been to the retail site yet. Do have an interest in that BK&T Campanion, so will check it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mumm,

Just bought a Becker K&T U-7. Heck of a knife for $39! It held it's own with knives costing $2-350 in a recent Guns test piece.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Becker K&T Companion

For those who are interested- I bought one a year or so ago, hoping for the perfect woods knife (a pet project that's been years in the making). On paper, this looks like a great candidate, but for me, anyway, the blade is way too thick to cut well, and doesn't take a good sharp edge. The weight of the thing and the shallow angle of the edge do make a good chopping tool, but then the blade isn't long enough for a good, meaty swing.

I have yet another Becker knive. It's their Patrol Machete. It's also way too thick to bite deep like a machete should, and even though it weighs like a small hatchet, it doesn't seem to chop nearly as well. Also, the black coating didn't stand up well to even some minor trail maintenance. You'd be better off with a regular small machete, and save the $60 left over after buying it instead of spending the $70 Becker wants for the Patrol machete. Like the companion, the edge construction is more reminiscent of an axe than a knife, so it also won't get real sharp.

There is no doubt that both knives are rugged and stout as hell, but neither is, for me anyway, a good Woods knife. They're both too heavy and overbuilt for the task I want them to do (cutting). If you need to dig a shitpit or garbage hole with one, I'd say that among knives they're peerless, but sticks are lighter and pretty much just as good for that task.

For what little it's worth, I say pass on them. Cammilus also makes the Pilot Survival and Marine Combat knives, and both are as good Woods knives as I've ever seen, and cheap enough not to cry over if they get lost or damaged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the "Campanion • #BK2", it is one hell of a knife.

I use it camping and around the house and barn. It will chop a small tree, 3", open hay bales and dig a hole if you need.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a BK1 and a BK9. For some reason, the BK1, with it's weight in the front of the blade, chops as good or better than most hatchets.

The BK9 is used as a camp butcher knife, and is peerless in that roll.

The BK1, BK7and BK9, are designed as tactical knives, and aren't made to be used as a machete, but the BK1, will work admirably in that roll. Spend some time getting used to them, you might change your mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts