Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Benelli M1 Tactical from a guy who got it from a poor slob going through a divorce. (Like the money he got for the shotgun will be enough!!!!!!!!)
I have never owned a semi-auto but am told this is about as reliable as they get.
I have a box of 6 shot and 7 1/2 to try. Does anyone have a favorite load they like with this?
It also came with a nice tactical light which really is bright. However, the sights are the rifle type. Should I get a new barrel that has the front sight for the ghost ring and have a ghost ring mounted on the receiver? This is a house gun for those pesky unannounced social occasions where I don't have more than about 7 yards field of view in any room.
Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Nah...
You're in great shape I personally went through 4-Day Advanced Tacical Shotgun at Front sight with my M-1 Super 90, with rifle sights, and did just fine, earning a graduate certificate. Its a great gun with tremendous reliability and features. Its lighter than the 11-87, but recoil is more than acceptable. If you want ghost rings then go for it, but try the rifle sights out and see how you do with them. As for loads--Federal tactical buckshot.
Get to Front Sight (I'm sure that other academies are good, but my experience with Front Sight was outstanding I've taken 2-day and 4-day tactical shotgun classes as well as the advanced class) and learn just how good that shotgun is and just how good you can be
Good luck and congratulations on your purchase

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have a M1 Super 90 Tactical (pistol grip,ghost rings) They are great!! You'll be fine with the rifle sights. the ammo I use around the house is #4 buckshot. I also like the federal tactical 00 buck. Sounds like you got a nice setup. Don't forget to get a sling for it! The sling on a long gun is like a holster to a handgun.....UW

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Urban Warrior is right about the sling. I recommend a tactical sling as they are the most versatile I also HIGHLY recommend a "Sidesaddle" A 6-shell holder that fastens to the left side of your receiver Its made by TacStar and IMHO is worth its weight in gold. Ammo is always with the gun and in a position to make reloads very fast. About $25 as I recall
Get one.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The sidesaddle is a good option. Be very careful when installing it. DO NOT overtighten as it will slow your action and or possibly crack your receiver. Trust me I'm a Benelli armorer and have seen quite a few damaged ones.......UW

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any recommendations for the sling? I saw all the slings in the pictures in the Front Sight web page and figure if they use them, it must be for a good reason.
Also, any thoughts on books or videos that relate to home defense use of my new toy?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With 6% tax, $746. :D And I still haven't had the opportunity to shoot it! :cry:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, this guy, Sonny, always sells firearms at a good discount. Makes up for it by selling msrp on all other items like reloading things, clothing, cleaning stuff and all. As long as he is happy just selling me guns, I'll take his deals.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sonny's gun shop ? Isnt he in Tampa? Man I've got countless stories on bad business with him :-/

I wouldnt know though , never been there. Went three days in a row and he was closed all three. Ah well , I'll go again a while down the road.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, Sonny is in Bradenton. He and his wife own Manatee Outdoor Sports and are both good folks. His wife never seems to have a bad day. Sonny, well, you can tell if he sizes up a jerk by the way he shuts up and just sells what they came for. On the other hand, you will get loads of usefull tips and info if you act half-way human. Great prices on weapons are his loss leaders. They are closed Sunday and Monday.
Stop by sometime! :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just may ;)

kinda neat that there's a pair of gun shops run by two guys named Sonny about half an hour apart.

Next time I'm in bradenton I'll see about finding the place

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Great gun. Runs even better with full power loads.

Good luck.

Mike.

·
Registered
79 Posts
DoorGunner said:
Any recommendations for the sling? I saw all the slings in the pictures in the Front Sight web page and figure if they use them, it must be for a good reason.
Also, any thoughts on books or videos that relate to home defense use of my new toy?
I use : Boonie Packer Benelli slings on my Benelli M4 & M3 T.
They are VERY good. :wink:

"And they are American too" :D "Proudly made in America"

-Gunnerside-

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got one with the rifle sights too. I found it at a local shop for $650.. it had a very low round count. If you plan on shooting low recoil loads, you most likely need to look into getting another spring for the recoil system to maintain reliability. Also, don't shoot steel shot out of the weapon. Hope you enjoy your Benelli as much as I do!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Steel shot out of a Benelli is s'okay!!

Benelli's are made with durability in mind. Steel shot causes absolutely no harm . I checked the benelliusa.com site to be sure. Under FAQ:

Q: What choke should I use for steel shot?
A: Most people find that the Modified choke works best for pass shooting and the Improved Cylinder and Cylinder chokes work well on decoying birds. Nothing is gained by trying to shoot steel through a choke tighter than Modified and we do not recommend doing so.

It say's "Modified choke", nothing about NOT shooting steel shot. I own a M1014..same as the Marines...To Marine proof it it had to SHOOT any and every type of round.....just my $.02. Hope this helps...

Triggerman

1 - 20 of 24 Posts