Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 92F in 1987. The S/N is C945**Z.

The left side of the slide says, "PIETRO BERETTA Gardone V.T. - Made in ITALY".

The right side of the slide says, "BERETTA USA CORP., ACKK, MD."

So I have to wonder . . . where was this gem made?

Thanks in advance for any info.

DON

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Made in Italy, IMO, the BERETTA USA CORP., ACKK, MD is importer's marking.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
They make B92s in Acokeek, MD, but I don't know if they were making them there yet in 1987.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My Browning BDA .380 says on the left side of the slide, Browning Arms Company Morgan Utah and Montreal P.Q. On the right side of the slide it says Fabrique Nationale Herstal Made in Italy. Below that is a capital PB in a circle. So, the gun is a Browning but made in Itialy by Pietro Beretta. The gun also has the Browning escutcheons in the stocks. Go figure.

Is it really a Browning or is it a Beretta? I could care less It shoots the same and very well. :lol:

So, Don, we are in much the same boat.

BobMac

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Wikipedia says:

After a year of flawless production and testing of M9 pistols in Italy under U.S. Government supervision, testing and later production was transferred to the Beretta U.S.A. factory in Accokeek, Maryland.
They don't give any years in there, though.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
After some thought, if it wasn't military production, ie an M9, the Maryland stamp is an importers mark. You could always call/email Beretta and ask the source.

Since the part with the serial number is considered the weapon, I suppose it's possible that frames made in the US could be combined with parts from other sources and the result could be considered "made in the US". However, the emphasis for the new facility would have been military production, not civilian arms, so I doubt this would be your explanation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I went to Beretta's website, FAQs, and found the following:

Quote:

Beretta firearms produced in Italy carry a proof mark for the year of production. The chart below is used to identify the year by this mark. For recent pistols this mark is usually located on the frame near the trigger guard,

End Quote.

Mine [purchased in 1987] had the proof mark "AP". They list the pm's for all the years and mine was made in 1986.

Thanks to all who responded to my original question. My interest in all of this pertains to the 'slide breaking' issue. I own a machine shop so a week ago I machined the necessary groove in the left side of the slide and installed a new hammer pivot pin with the enlarged head. Necessary or not . . . I feel better about it.

DON

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The slide breaking issue was allegedly traced back to some flawed steel. However, the sharp angles in the locking cuts in the slide were identified a long time ago as stress risers. Cracks in that area, and in the locking block, can develop in heavy usage.

There is an upgraded locking block available. If you look around, slides are available (including from Beretta) with the locking block cut area substantially reinforced. It kinda depends upon the severity of your usage, but the upgraded locking block isn't visibly different from the original.

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
The upgraded locking-block has had some careful recontouring for reliability. As for the slide, there was supposedly a single run of them, with an element introduced that caused the problem. For the average user, the original shouldn't have a problem when using standard or even +P loads. Now, if you run 10k per year through it, you're not "average".

·
Registered
3 Posts
DWOOD said:
I purchased my 92F in 1987. The S/N is C945**Z.

The left side of the slide says, "PIETRO BERETTA Gardone V.T. - Made in ITALY".

The right side of the slide says, "BERETTA USA CORP., ACKK, MD."

So I have to wonder . . . where was this gem made?

Thanks in advance for any info.

DON
It was made in Italy and imported, at the time, by Beretta USA in Accokeek, Maryland.

Full production in the U.S. of the 92s did not begin until 89 I'm pretty sure - but that can be confirmed over at the Beretta Forums.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
BobMac said:
My Browning BDA .380 says on the left side of the slide, Browning Arms Company Morgan Utah and Montreal P.Q. On the right side of the slide it says Fabrique Nationale Herstal Made in Italy. Below that is a capital PB in a circle. So, the gun is a Browning but made in Itialy by Pietro Beretta. The gun also has the Browning escutcheons in the stocks. Go figure.

Is it really a Browning or is it a Beretta? I could care less It shoots the same and very well. :lol:

So, Don, we are in much the same boat.

BobMac
It's a Beretta imported and marketed by Browning. Just like in the 70's when Browning imported SIG 220s and sold them as Browning Double Action Pistols.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
For those still interested in the M9 slide failures, here's a link to Dean Speir's article:
http://www.thegunzone.com/m9-a.html

The whole site makes for very interesting reading, BTW.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks Special Ed. That's about what I thought. There is a Beretta pistol (can't remember the designation)that can use the same mags as the Browning. I have a couple of them :wink: , one 13 rounder and one a 10 round.

I really like the gun and it shoots well.

BobMac :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts