Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Beretta .40 Vertec. Beretta had a problem with slides cracking due to poor metallurgy. Have not heard about this problem in years, did Beretta solve the problem or just cover it up really well?

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
jonnyslick said:
Just bought a Beretta .40 Vertec. Beretta had a problem with slides cracking due to poor metallurgy. Have not heard about this problem in years, did Beretta solve the problem or just cover it up really well?
Yes and yes again… if you actually read TGZ's report (reprinted from a 1991 Gun Week Industry Intelligencer column), you may note that all the "affected" M9s were made with slides of a European manufacture. I believe that you are the same fellow who yesterday wrote me:
Read an online string you wrote about beretta slides with Te in them. I just bought a .40 vertec which is more powerful than a nine and I don't want my
$600.00 gun breaking. Did Beretta solve the problem and what if I put a .357sig barrel in it, would it hold up?

J.S.
So why would you think that your new Vertec might be at risk?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really did'nt think my Vertec was at risk I just dropped $600.00 and wanted to be sure. But the industry is very good at hiding flaws. I have owned Glocks for years and never heard any of the problems I saw here and 1 other site.(I'm new to the online thing) Mine is a .357sig, which kicks hard. So what should I expect a blown barrel or broken slide rails. I guess 2/3 of the police force of America has been tricked along with me. OK, so the Beretta is cured and Glock is crap, is that what I'm reading?

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Awwwwwwwww, jeez!

jonnyslick said:
…the industry is very good at hiding flaws. I have owned Glocks for years and never heard any of the problems I saw here and 1 other site.(I'm new to the online thing) Mine is a .357sig, which kicks hard. So what should I expect a blown barrel or broken slide rails. I guess 2/3 of the police force of America has been tricked along with me. OK, so the Beretta is cured and Glock is crap, is that what I'm reading?
  1. Yes, the "industry" is very good at hiding flaws… but then it has the full cooperation of, and acts in complicity with, the gunzines, so I suspect that prior to your venturing onto the 'Net, your sole source of information was G&A, the AOL of the firearms periodicals. [/*:3cnzdcwq]
  2. If your Glock chambered in 357 SIG (note the absence of a decimal point!) "kicks hard," then you could probably do with some shooting instruction.[/*:3cnzdcwq]
  3. I infer from your "tricked" comment that you are dubious, and are intending to be ironic.[/*:3cnzdcwq]
  4. Your final question implies that you are not a very thorough or even careful reader.[/*:3cnzdcwq]
I guess, since you are admittedly new to the on-line community, that you're feeling kinda dazzled and perhaps incredulous by the experience.

You'll doubtless get over it… but learn to read more carefully, hang around, and ask some more questions.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
When Dean is playing nice I have to step up and be the curmudgeon, but there is one question begging for an answer:

If the 357 SIG "kicks hard" , and it does, why on earth did you buy it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, a lot of info comes from "gunzines". Outside of the net where would someone get info? Having fired almost all major handguns and in most calibers it is easy to" feel "that my 357sig(no decimal piont)Glock 31 has a very pronounced snap to the recoil, even my .45 does not snap as hard. And, "I'm not a careful reader" what is it I read wrong or did'nt read that makes you think that? A lot of poeple on your site obviously don't like the Glock I'm just wondering why?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sorry if "kicks hard" misled you. I meant that the slide velocity is obviously higher compared to 9mm and .40 and was wondering if the Glock rails would hold up. By the way, please define" case support". (in relation to Glock) The topic coms up alot.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
CP said:
If the 357 SIG "kicks hard" , and it does, why on earth did you buy it?
I was wondering more toward what caliber had he been shooting before, but maybe a better question would be which handguns and what caliber were they chambered in. Granted I don't have a G31 but I do have a G23 that I occasionally fire with a 357 SIG barrel installed. I guess I'm not overly recoil conscious with pistols but do think my 4" 629 S&W Mountain Gun does snap a little.

Jonny, I'd say there are two reasons many here don't particularly get overwhelmed with Glocks is that many/most are 1911 types and the propensity of Glocks to occasionally do a "catastrophic self disassembly" aka kB! even with factory loads.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Case support.. or the lack therof... isn't limited to Glocks but they are famous for leaving a lot of the case unsupported.

The easiest way to describe it is for you to field strip the pistol of your choice and put a cartridge case in the chamber. You will see that at the 6:00 position the feed ramp leads up to the case. If the barrel extends all the way back to the extractor groove on the case then the case is completely supported, but if the feed ramp leaves some part of the case body hanging out in the air that area is "unsupported". A little bit of unsupported case is not a problem at all because the case is thick back there, but if the ramp leaves a bunch of brass hanging ( say over 0.025") therecan be issues. The easiest thing to do is examine cases fired in the gun and if you can see any bulging at the base there may be a problem that needs to be investigated by a competent gunsmith.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
jonnyslick said:
…what is it I read wrong or did'nt read that makes you think that? A lot of poeple on your site obviously don't like the Glock I'm just wondering why?
Case in point, no one "on my site … don't like the Glock," obviously or otherwise… I'm the one primarily there, as the bylines on each page will reveal, and I not only own, shoot and sometimes even carry a Glock, but virtually singled-handedly (without an iota of assistance from Glock!) got Glock pistols "civilian legal" in my county during an 11-month long battle with the local Sheriff (now an ex-con from a stint in his own jail!) So who is it who is so obvious to you who doesn't like "the Glock?"

But the initial reference to your less than carelful reading had to do with the substance of your original inquiry, essentially: is my new Vertec at risk because of the Te issue in the M9?
I'm sorry if "kicks hard" misled you. I meant that the slide velocity is obviously higher compared to 9mm and .40 and was wondering if the Glock rails would hold up. By the way, define" case support".
Two more cases in point:
  1. Please re-visit the "Glock Rear Frame Slide Rails" page and share with us the language which would lead you to ask that question… if there's something there which is causing undue alarm, I genuinely what to clarify that so no one is mis-lead.[/*:2qu3eld4]
  2. "Case support" is not simply defined, J.S., it is graphically illustrated in several different images showing the exposed portion of the case web in a great-than-9 X 19mm-Glock in comparison to another manufacturer's barrel.[/*:2qu3eld4]
This is one of the reason's I get grumpy… no!, I wasn't born that way… I write in decent English, take care that the words are spelled correctly, and strive to not be obscure (okay, so I do have a fâiblesse for the arcane and recondite from time to time!), and I get questions and assumptions such as the foregoing! And I think, WTF am I doing here!?! Have the AOLers taken over the Internet?!?

Rats!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KB?

I assume you mean Ka boom. How does a Glock, any caliber, (and mine is said to be major, 357sig(no decimal point) blow up? How doe's a pistol with a firing pin block shoot out of battery?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Read what? Where is this info I'm not reading. You say no one on your site doe's not like Glock, well dzatram writes "I hate Glocks".
mikeo says " not exactly what they promised". "Hope it's a strong case or it will be as KB prone as the .45's are. And read most of the "It finally happened" string and tell me the people on your site don't like it when the Glock fails. Just show me a few lines that are possitive about Glock ( and not intermingled with criticism). I only want to know if the Glock is crap or not. You can't answer a simple question. If you want to read all the negative stuff about Glocks on your site I will spend the time to find it and point it out. (won't take me long) The majority of comments on your site are anti-Glock.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
"Just when I thought I was out… they drag me back in."

Jonny… this is not "my site." These are the AmBack Forums in which "my site" is graciously afforded a topic so goofs like you can ask questions about material on "my site."

"My site" is The Gun Zone: http://www.thegunzone.com/.

And to think, I could have stayed at Gun Week and insulated myself from all this….

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
And to think, I could have stayed at Gun Week and insulated myself from all this….
Now that wouldn't be any fun!

I love the mental image of Dean sitting at his computer with a steaming hot cup of coffee nearby and his fingers quickly pounding away on the keyboard while he mumbles aloud to himself as he is responding to us here on the board. :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sorry. You are right I clicked on a website I thought was yours but it was not. I like the way you pointed out that part of what I said rather than answer the questions I asked. You change the subjuct to useless banter like an AOL user does.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts

I feel no obligation to make specific responses to posters who are either too lazy or too unskilled to properly read information that is already on-line in the referenced site… I asked you for specific instances of anything on "my site" when were not clear to you.

Instead, you paraded out a bunch of quotes which have nothing to do with me of "my site."

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went back to the original email reply to my first beretta question and the site I clicked on was a link called the gun zone. I' m sorry if your site is also called the gun zone, it is spelled the same. when I clicked on the gun zone link I thought I was accessing the gun zone site. For this I am sorry.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
The Gun Zone site is owned and managed by Dean. Your American Backyard hosts The Gun Zone. Your American Backyard also has a forum where Dean has a topic called The Gun Zone. That is where questions relating to TGZ site can be answered. If you look around you'll see other topics as well. You went to the right place. You just got off on the wrong foot. Read more before posting and you should do fine.

For anyone else not sure where they are...

The Gun Zone
This is the place for questions about, or feedback on, anything you've read, or would like to see, on The Gun Zone, the gunperson's authoritative Internet place to hang out.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts