Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been brought up before...
I have an opportunity to attend a gunshow this weekend, and I might be interested in an AK.
Is there any concensus on what the best kind of AK there is? Chinese, Romanian....whatever? And any idea of a price range?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I understand the VPER version is built on a Russian RPK Squad Auto Weapon receiver. (heavier than standard)

·
Registered
144 Posts
In addition to all that have been mentioned, the Chinese ones were very well made- except for the wood used on the furniture. They have thicker than normal receivers as well.

The Romainian and Egyptian ones are the ugliest ones I have ever seen, but they usually work.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My favorites are the three Romanian's that I built myself. One underfolder and two fixed stocks. They work great and are fun to shoot.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Polytech Legend. Nice wood, Milled receiver. Imported in 1988-89 Probably as close to the original Russian Type 3 as you can buy. They are pricy however. A close second and more reasonably priced would be the Arsenal Inc SA-M7 variety. I have owned both. I sold the Arsenal and have two Polytech Legends...The best IMHO. The legend is the only one actually stamped "AK-47" on the receiver. It has a lot of character to it. Once I picked one up, I just knew it was everything an AK was ment to be.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
* S I G H *

Well guys, I did go to the gunshow. I saw 3 AK-47s and none of them (unfortunatly) were what I wanted.
I saw one with a collapsable AR M4 type stock on it.
WHAT THE..... :roll:

Are ARs and AKs crossbreeding or something?????? :lol:
That thing looked like ... something aborted out of an Sci-Fi channel TV movie......
Anyhow .... nothing this time.
Will try again at the next gun show!!!!
Thank you for all the answers; I have taken notes! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lancaster consulting AKM 47:

Before:
[IMG=left]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/purple85gt/akglock5032500.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG=left]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/purple85gt/akglock5039500.jpg[/IMG]

After:
[IMG=left]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/purple85gt/akglock6017web.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
315 Posts
Tommygun, try Larry's in Huntsville. He has Romanian and Yugos but he is a little pricy. The under folders look neat and are compact but are useless for accuracy. If I buy another it will probably be a Yugo with od green synthetic stocks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gonna have to side with the Poly Tech Legend owners, though I liked some of the other Chines AKs I had, the Poly Tech is the only AK I still have.

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
TommyGunn said:
Well guys, I did go to the gunshow. I saw 3 AK-47s and none of them (unfortunatly) were what I wanted.
Those stupid M4 stocks are showing up on everything from 10/22s to shotguns to H&R single-shots. I don't like them on M4s, fercryinoutloud--why would I want one on anything else?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Snake45 said:
TommyGunn said:
Those stupid M4 stocks are showing up on everything from 10/22s to shotguns to H&R single-shots. I don't like them on M4s, fercryinoutloud--why would I want one on anything else?
+10000!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yugo's

Ok, the above picture is the exact same one I just bought. I'm
Trying to figure out what the thread size is on the Muzzle brake? anybody know? The one that came on it is a little sloppy, is this typical.?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts