Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks.

I think it's high time I finally broke down and bought an M1 Carbine. I have a 1903A3, five M1 Garands, a 1911A1, an M1A, and an AR-15 HBAR. I need to get an 1903, too, but I think my next US purchase needs to be the ol' Carbine.

I've looked at the CMP, from whom 3 of my Garands were acquired, but it doesn't look like the CMP is currently selling the Carbines. I don't really know the first thing about the Carbines -- I've never really made it through the Garand section of my Canfield book -- so I need some direction as far as what type of Carbine would be good for a newbie. At this point I'm primarily interested in a shooter, though I do want something that was actually USGI at some point.

What are the more common variants of the Carbine available today? I.e. I don't really want to jump into the world of the Carbine by getting the most collectible and hard to find variant. Ideally, something along the lines of a CMP service grade variant would be exactly what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, folks!

~ Greg ~

G

·
Ha ha Greg, CMP Carbines haven't been available for 40 years! You are on the right track though, by coming here, we can help and enjoy doing so. Your easiest purchase would be a re-import (probably least expensive too), but Carbines are getting quite expensive, even making Garands cheap by comparison.
I recommend cruising the auctions (Gunbroker and Auction Arms, and GunsAmerica). Find something interesting, and come back here and post a link. We'll take a look-see for you with recommendations. If you are afraid of someone bidding against you (unlikely we haven't seen it already), then PM me and I'll look at it without posting and PM you back.
The non-imports are getting pretty high, in the $800 plus range, so you might be reluctant to shoot one, whereas the re-imports are okay, having been rebuilt one or more times at an arsenal and are in the $400-$600 range. Some are junk or worn out, but replacement parts aren't too bad yet, so this is a great starting point that won't cost what an M1A does. They are a blast to shoot too, I sold my M1A because of this (didn't care much for shooting it). The mags and ammo are reasonable also, and there were over 6,000,000 made (all parts interchange). Let us know, now go cruising! :D

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Here is a CMP carbine that was sold in March 2003. Typical rebuild with many late featurers. I have paid up to $800 for one of these and would buy this one if I did not other things going on right now. I have bought from this seller before. Great guy.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=22451809

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wayne has given you some good advise to start your search for your first carbine. The web auction sites can give you a good idea of what carbines are selling for. You will probably notice right away that the commercial or non GI M1 carbines sell for less money, sometimes alot less. But my advise is buy USGI. Be carefull if you are looking at a BLUE SKY import marked carbine. They stamped their import mark into the side of the barrel so heavily, that the barrel was sometimes slightly deformed and they just will not shoot straight. Most BLUE SKY carbine barrels are OK you should just be carefull of the very heavily stamped ones.

G

·
jimb is okay, and he knows his Carbines, you'll get what he advertises, and probably more. He's selling an M1A1 on GA too, I wonder what that project is that he mentioned? That's a pretty nice Inland, I might go after that one. I glanced at it earlier, didn't see jimbs name there.

G

·
Bolo-7 said:
Here is a CMP carbine that was sold in March 2003. Typical rebuild with many late featurers. I have paid up to $800 for one of these and would buy this one if I did not other things going on right now. I have bought from this seller before. Great guy.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=22451809
Absolutely...you cannot go wrong here...the seller is another honest, outstanding carbine parts and rifles collector. Very knowledgeable in this field. If you are looking for that "right - correct CMP" carbine...this one is it!! You can bet....... it's been overhauled (cleaned and maintenanced) and inspected for safety. :D

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewIt ... m=22451809

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
The M1A1 from GA is gone....sorry. But I do have a slightly beat up M1A1 stock on flea-bay. The two carbines I have on GB are decent and I feel are well worth the money. The Winchester barrel is pretty well worn, but it still shoots well. The CMP still has a pretty good amount of life in it. That inland still has slightly over 1/8 inch of bullet showing and it won't come close to closing on a no-go. The stock is nothing to get excited about. It has a minor arsenal repair behind the trigger where the recoil plate screw eschutcheon must have broken out, but it is a solid, usable stock. Most of the parts are correct Inland. It wouldn't take a whole lot to restore it. BTW, I'm also selling a mdl 12 Winchester trench gun and a Johnson rifle. Got my eye on a nice WWII jeep and I need the money to buy the the jeep for mounting my 1919a4 Browning! *LOL*

G

·
Jim...if you REALLY...want to get sick and drool yourself to death...there is a surplus store on Victory Blvd in North Hollywood, Cal that has a 1943 Willys USA Jeep...with all the trimmings. It's sitting in the front window. Looks like it just rolled off the Willis Motors assembly line. I had a Model 97 minty riot gun...eons ago...if you need any help with it..let me know...I have a buddy that wrote the book on the US Trench & Riot Guns. I'll be glad to hook you up with him. :D There's another California collector that has just about one of each of the trench guns made.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great info, guys. I'll definitely poke around for a while and will be sure to post any other questions I have. :) The CMP Carbine of Jimb's look nice, but I'll need to hold off for a little while -- I just got my SG WRA and SGR IHC Garands from the CMP a couple of weeks ago, my unissued Persian Mauser from Samco just arrived yesterday, and I have a nice Finn M27 coming next week. When it rains, it pours! And the wifey's been giving me some funny looks! :)

Thanks again, folks!

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I see where you think John Stuart Mill was a smart man too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Man is this a helpful gang of folks or what!!!!But you better do the smart thing and keep the wifey happy because if mama is happy then you will have a chance at a carbine also. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts