Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's kick-start this forum...

Last year was the worst drought year ever for Colorado, and I had the best tomatoes ever; best yield, best tasting, best everything.

I planted Heartland plants because they are determinate and would be easier to control the water on. I use gated pipe and usually am able to run 5 or 6 gates at a time for about an hour until the rows are soaked. But last year I was only able to get 1 gate to run, and it was taking about 12-14 hours to water one row.

So the tomatoes got 12-14 hours of water about every 10 days. Apparently that is the secret. Anyway, I'm trying the same thing this year.

G

·
with so much H2O, Double your fertilizer.

Last season i did that... and i was forces to figure out a new 'support stake' system.. the tomato plants grow to over 10 feet tall.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Remember, if you nip back the plants, more tomatoes are grown. The plant itself expends way too much "energy" growing itself and not enough making fruit if you let it grow 10 feet tall. But, those are so cool to see!

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Sometimes I get into the crazy tomato gardening thing. One year I bought 25-30 different plants to see what would grow. Everything from old fashioned tomatoe plants to new hybrids. Some of those plants grew 8-10 feet tall. But they did not produce much fruit. Thank god! Pink, red, orange, yellow, giant, grape, tiny, even tomatillas (sp).

That was a fun tomato garden!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, geeze, I didn't think anybody saw this thread.

Just finished my third garden using Heartlands. All three years have been great! I don't fertilize or nip back the plants. Apparently Heartlands like clay soil and deep water. We had more than we could eat and give away. Tried to put some up for spaghetti sauce last year, but they are way too sweet to cook with.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Cool. Remember you local volunteer fire departments and rescue squads. The will take just about anything!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts