Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small, (15 pound), Poodle mix. I also have a major Pigeon problem at my house. They are all over, crapping on my house and sidewalk. So I bought a couple of those plastic owls and placed them on both sides of my house.

Now I don't have Pigeons, but my dog constantly barks at them. I took them down and placed them on the ground so he could smell them, and see they were nothing but painted plastic. But as soon as I put them back up, he started barking at them again. He is the LOUDEST dog I have ever had. He is louder than both my 105 pound Golden, and my 85 pound German Shepard ever were. Now I have to choose to either put up with barking, or else dirty, filthy Pigeon crap! :confused:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bark collar is out. They're painful and cruel because the dog doesn't know what's going on, or why. Dog's do not have the power of reason. I've even heard of small breed, older dogs going into cardiac arrest in some cases when those things are used. A dog shouldn't have to suffer pain, doing what comes naturally to him, and what he's been allowed to do unmolested for 4 years. For me to apply one of those now, is the equivalent of letting him go all over the house for 4 years, then one day start beating the crap out of him for it.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Dogs aren't near a dumb as you think they are. I hope you don't have near by neighbors who have to put up with the noise. FYI, I love dogs, but expect them and their owners to be good neighbors.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Try gradual de-sensitization. Place the owls where you did before, close enough for him to smell and perceive as non-threats. After a day or two move them a few feet closer to their perches, but still close enough for him to engage. After that, you get the idea: allow him to get comfortable with them in successive, more distant perches until finally you have them back where you want them.

A secondary benefit to this is approach is that as the days go by they'll become less and less of a novelty and more a normal part of his territory.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dogs aren't near a dumb as you think they are. I hope you don't have near by neighbors who have to put up with the noise. FYI, I love dogs, but expect them and their owners to be good neighbors.
We don't allow him to sit out there and bark for hours on end. He is only out to do his business, then back inside. Especially in the Summer when it's 110F+ during the day. As far as barking and the neighborhood, we put up with far more than we give back. I just don't like him barking at these things every time we take him out. Regardless of the amount of time he does it.

He was a homeless, badly treated, poorly kept stray, when we took him off the street almost 4 years ago. We treat him like royalty. He lives in the house with us, and even sleeps in our bed at night. We are both retired, and we're home with him all the time. And when we're not he goes where we go. Because of all of this, he is very defensive of the house and his back yard. And he doesn't want anyone or anything intruding on or in it. The end result is these owls are seen as his enemy, because they are infringing on his territory. And I can't very well "punish" him for that.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
A small dog like that, living on the streets at a young age, probably had justifiable fears of large, flying predators.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
billt, from what you wrote you are a better dog owner and neighbor than many.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
There is much to be said for the good captains plan. I would add to try putting him on a leash and walking him by the owls. If he barks a gentle tug on the leash and firm "NO". You'll have to repeat that some but when he finally doesn't bark lavish the praise and "GOO BOY" followed by a treat.

If that doesn't work consult a trainer

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
For what it's worth; in my experience the pigeons will soon realize the fake owls are... fake.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For what it's worth; in my experience the pigeons will soon realize the fake owls are... fake.
They sure work on feral cats, that's for certain. I also have a big problem with neighborhood stray cats $h!tting along one side of my house. Since I put the owl there, not a single one. So far so good with the owls. I also have these arriving today. They have a pretty good customer rating. We'll see.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBHQ0UG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I agree Sam now if you correct a dog 5 minutes after the act will that's another story they go :dunno: what did I do.My new pub is coming along better than anticipated and the learning curves for both dog/owner are starting to blend.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
They sure work on feral cats, that's for certain. I also have a big problem with neighborhood stray cats $h!tting along one side of my house. Since I put the owl there, not a single one. So far so good with the owls. I also have these arriving today. They have a pretty good customer rating. We'll see.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBHQ0UG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Actually, I'm in for a set of these. I used the old plastic kind but I think for the money, this is worth a shot.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Will the owls scare grackles and squirrels?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will the owls scare grackles and squirrels?
This is from one of the customer reviews on the product:

"Nice product. Sturdy, reflects light very well and great value. Best feature is the swivel, making it spin nicely with even a small breeze. Motion alone will disturb birds (and even squirrels or other critters), so this is the main feature for me."

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Thanks. I need to order a set ASAP.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yesterday my hanging owls arrived. I went to Home Depot and picked up several Stainless Steel wood screw eyelets to hang them from. I put one in front. One along the side, and 2 in the back. Plus the 2 statue owls for a total of 6 around the whole property.

I'm happy to report I have not seen a bird since! I only hear them off in the distance. Still no traces of any stray cats crapping, or venturing into my yard either. So for now it appears to be problem solved. The hanging owls really reflect sunlight. It is supposed to cause disruption of their navigation systems, which in turn scares the hell out of them. They then fly away and avoid the area. So I have to give these reflective cutouts a big thumbs up. I have 4 extras in case I want to add a few more. Or else if I have to replace any of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts