Gun Hub Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
this is not exactly a scam, but it is close. 馃槈

I have recommended AGI's video courses for gunsmithing on several forums (including this one).

This really takes the cake.

I purchased one of their DVDs a few months back on their website. Since then I have been receiving a "newsletter" every month...which I have been pitching in the garbage with all the other junk mailings I get.

Well, all of a sudden I have a 29.95 charge on my CC from them. I called and asked what this is as I have not purchased anything recently.

It turns out that it is for this newletter. I asked how did this happen, I never asked for this item.

Well, if you buy off their website, there is a small accept box that you MUST check to get to the pay screen. I don't even remember it, but guess I figured it was an I ACCEPT sort of deal like you see on millions of other sites for credit card purchases.

Now here is where AGI is really evil. The first two months are free.
then you get charged monthly....29.95. If I didn't go over my bill with a fine tooth comb, I might have missed it.

The lady on the phone was pleasent until I questioned their business ethics, and then she got nasty.

Here is how this went.

1. Why does AGI MAKE a customer sign up for this "newsletter" to make an online purchase? My guess here is I didn't hit the Accept button, and it wouldn't process, so I hit the button to finalize my order.

2. Why is the fine print so hidden? I don't recall reading anything about a newsletter..."Inner Circle" they call it....like the old decoder rings.

3. Isn't this a bad business practice? Why do you not charge for 2 months? Obviously so a customer won't catch it on the first bill where they expect an AGI charge.

4. Why is the charge to some unidentified name (not AGI on the bill!!!), I only traced it by calling my CC company.

Response...she said she would reverse the charge and then hung up on me in my next sentence as I began to tell her what I thought of AGI's business practices. (I was very calm by the way.)

Now techincally this may not be a scam, because I agreed to something (even though I didn't know that I was agreeing to it)....but it is an unethical way to try and make money. from an unexpecting customer.

You don't see it on the bill when you expect to be charged for your DVD...it shows up months later. maybe you won't catch it. As for the mailing, it looks like any other piece of promotional junk mail you get after ordering from any other company.

BEWARE this less than honest BS!

they have lost this customer....all I can do to make my displeasure known. and warn anyone else about this "business" practice.
Bro it's basically like buying something from Amazon cheeper, but you have to pay for a subscription which is free for a week. This is a day and age where you HAVE TO TAKE TIME TO READ THE FINE PRINT. I bet gene kelly isn't super happy with that policy but some business egg head recommended it and he got overruled. I mean hell I went to a summer camp a few years ago and signed a waver saying they (the camp) is not responsible if I am disemboweled. It's just part of life in our overly litigious american society, and you need to pay a little more attention and not bitch about your mistake. You lost $30, not that big. Swallow your pride, learn from this and move on a more enlightened man( or woman )

Administrator
Bro it's basically like buying something from Amazon cheeper, but you have to pay for a subscription which is free for a week. This is a day and age where you HAVE TO TAKE TIME TO READ THE FINE PRINT. I bet gene kelly isn't super happy with that policy but some business egg head recommended it and he got overruled. I mean hell I went to a summer camp a few years ago and signed a waver saying they (the camp) is not responsible if I am disemboweled. It's just part of life in our overly litigious american society, and you need to pay a little more attention and not bitch about your mistake. You lost $30, not that big. Swallow your pride, learn from this and move on a more enlightened man( or woman )
Bro, you're replying to a thread that is 14 years old and most recently dug up 7 years ago. I don't think the OP is going to get your message.

Registered
There's an old joke:
"How is a large pizza and a gunsmith alike?"
"Answer is, neither can feed a family of four".

No joke, by the time you figure in the hours spent doing the businessman functions and get in a little gunsmithing work, the average gunsmith is lucky if he makes minimum wage.
Again, that's NOT a joke.

The only people who make good money are people who work for a big shop that offers good pay and benefits.
The only people who wear the Rolex, own a nice car and house, and take nice vacations are people like Bill Wilson who own big businesses employing a number of gunsmiths.
Those few are almost pure businessmen who don't do much in the shop except experimental work.

It can be a personally very satisfying career, but you have to be one of those odd-balls who gets his satisfaction from doing top quality craftsman level work.
These people are never satisfied with a job, always figuring that they could have done it better, and determined to do it better next time.
You serious? Cause I am strongly concidering Gunsmithing as a post highschool career. Just wanna cover all the bases before I drop 4 to 11 k
Bro, you're replying to a thread that is 14 years old and most recently dug up 7 years ago. I don't think the OP is going to get your message.
I'm just pissed at biden and idiots.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts