Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen

I need yourhelp and Dean suggested that I post my request here.

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a used black leather holster from a military surplus store. It was nice, a US military model and fit my FEG plus the price was right - $7.95. I say it was a military model since it has a large US in an oval on both sides of the flap.

What grabbed my attention is that it was ambidextrous model with a snap on flap. Inside was stamped Bianchi M66. It is apparently designed to be used with either a regular webbed canteen belt or a regular issue belt.

Being a retired GI (1954-1975) I have some knowledge of military weapons and accessories. This one, frankly, stumped me. I've looked in the 2000 Janes and done some research on the net but to no avail. Perhaps you or one of your knowledgeable readers can enlighten me as to what I have. Based on the fact that my FEG fits is quite nicely, I suspect that it was made for the .45 but who knows. I might add that it was slightly worn, but not abused.

I have scanned both the removable flap and the body as attachments.

Many thanks.

Paul Garner
[email protected]

:D If everything has gone right, and I punched all the right buttons in the right order, Ihave attached a scan of the flap of the holster. If I screwed up, email me and I will reply with scans of the holster and flap.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
John Bianchi designed the M66 upon receiving requests for an improved holster from troops serving in Vietnam. The desired features included:

1) High ride placement for comfort, mobility, and security;
2) Optional crossdraw;
3) Left hand convertable;
4) Attachments for a number of GI belts;
5) Mounting close to the body.

I see that you have already discovered that the flap is removable and repositionable. When attached, the flap can also be rotated out of the way to allow for the drawstroke. The holster has slots for the 1.75" garrison belt, plus a snap-set overlay for the 2.25" web belt. There are holes placed in the body of the holster to provide clearance for the pistol's magazine release in order to prevent accidental release. Seventeen patents cover the design.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Dan;

Many thanks for the quick reply.

I assume that the M66 refers to the year that it was designed and that it had to be purchased at your own expense rather than being issued.

I was there in the Nam in 1965, 1967-68, and Thailand 1970-1973. Now that you mention it, I can vagely recall seeing something like this holster now and then - but didn't pay too much attention since there was such a mixture of personal and government issued equipment being carried.

:D Many thanks for the information. Now I am left with wondering who carried it and their history - something that will never be known. Hope that he made it back.

Sincerely

Paul Garner
The Old Sarge
[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts