Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello folks... after looking at many positive articles on blackhills ammo i have decided to give it a try.. i found that cabellas sells it and i have ordered some in the 9mm flavor 124gr+P..what id like to know is ,have any of you used this ammo before? if so can you tell me the pros and cons of it? since i can no longer find triton hi-vel ammo around here im thinking about using this ammo for my carry load in my XD9..... thanks
speedy

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yeah, you're going to have trouble finding much Triton around... see here for the "word" on it...
http://forum.amback.com/viewtopic.php?p=727

As far as Black Hills ammo goes, what have you heard that is so good? I've heard it is OK, but there are better alternatives.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Black Hills makes real good rifle ammo. They also make decent range ammo for handguns. However, if you are looking for ammo for personal defense you'd be better off looking towards Federal (Personal Defense Hydra-Shok) or Speer (Gold Dot). Many small ammo makers have used the Gold Dot bullet for their own lines of defensive ammo.

David DiFabio has done a good job posting gelatin results for people everywhere to see. Not too long ago we were doing that very same thing at Triton with competitor's ammo. We just didn't post the results. In most instances David's results are right on.

In the end it boils down to what you believe to be the ideal performer. Do you want a bullet that will penetrate deep while retaining most or all of its weight? Or do you want a bullet that is lighter and traveling faster with lesser penetration?

To make this real simple, try a box of Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P and a box of Federal 135 gr Personal Defense. Shoot them side by side and see what feels better to you and which is more accurate for you out of your gun.

Now for the sales pitch :wink: ... if you wait a little longer you'll be able to buy both loads right here... well almost right here. Right at the main site (which this forum will be residing in). If only a certain programmer I know would finish the site :poke:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the federal personal defence load the hi-shock? if so whats the diff between hi and hydra shocks?

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
No, it's a Hydra-Shok. The Personal Defense line is the newest offering from Federal utilizing that bullet design. The 135 gr weight is ideal for 9mm and the bullet performs very well through various obstacles.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hey Fernando - I'm interested to hear the answer to his second question - What's the difference between "hi-shock" and "Hydra-Shock"? I've seen both listed and I, too, assumed that "hi" was just an abbreviation for "Hydra." Is this not the case?

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
The Hi-Shok line utilizes a conventional jacketed hollow point. In fact some resemble a Sierra JHP.

The Hydra-Shok is the patented design from Tom Burczynski with a lead center post within the cavity. The difference between Hi-Shok and Hydra-Shok? Same as between Fiat and Ferrari.

Federal likes product names with "Shok" in them. They even have a line of rifle ammo called Deep Shok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts