Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bleach does "go weak" over time as the chlorine off-gasses. Better solution would be to stock some airtight containers of chlorine tabs from the pool store and brush up on your basic high school chemistry on how much solid sodium hypochlorite you need to mix with how much water to get what concentration in the final solution (%).

A good source for info on mixing chlorine solution for sanitizing water wells (along with the techniques) is the Missouri Water Well Association's book "Water Well Handbook" available from the National Groundwater Association. The "Water Well Handbook" is a classic (first copyright - 1948), and being from the Missouri boys, you know it is straightforward (show me....). I have 6 years of college edumakashun and I've been taught many things by drillers who never finished high school. But it does help to understand percentages and chemical concentrations.

When the SHTF, once things settle down, me and a driller friend are going to convert an old cable tool rig to mule power - old rigs are all over this continent. Folks who need water can work out reasonable barter with us. I think that water well drilling capability will be a valuable commodity, don't you?

In the meantime, ensure that your go-to retreat has a well NOW, regardless of local water rights restrictions. Out West, where you might not currently "own" the water rights beneath your own land, you might have to find a like-minded driller to do a weekend job and put in a well off the books. Drill it properly, then cap it tightly to preven contamination and lock it. Put the pumping equipment (manual, or better yet, wind!) and decontamination supplies (chlorine and instructions) in storage and don't touch it until the day you need it (rotate the chlorine every year even if you don't have a pool - it's cheap). Have the driller finish it off in a below-ground vault so no-one knows you have it. Western water law might make it illegal for you to withdraw that water today, but no-one will ever be the wiser if you drill a well that you never use until water law goes out the window. Back East with riparian rights it's easier to get a legally-permitted well for private use.

Any other drillers or hydrogeologists want to chime in?

flcracker

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
In the land of falling waters , we rarely have to get beyond a hundred feet to get to good water that is under two layers of rock . I like the underground vault idea for a well that is unknown . Do you think a solar pump would be a good idea to keep it unknown ?

Jack

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely! I had forgotten about my friend's solar pump in Colorado. I'd still back it up with 100 year-old technology for when the spare parts run out, though.

flcracker

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
So how deep can a hand powered pump draw water ? The first aquafer is at forty feet here , the second that my well is in starts at around seventy if I remember right . I think my well is ninety feet down but I'd have ta check the report .

Jack

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An old fashioned pitcher pump with a short shaft will lift water from about 30 feet max, because they operate on the principle of negative pressure (suction), and are therefore limited to lifting water approximately 30 feet, or the equivalent of one atmosphere of pressure. Their efficiency improves when they are set up with a long shaft and a separate pumping cylinder at depth. Then it operates on the principle of positive pressure (lift), so you aren't restricted by depth.

Solar pumps can go much deeper, since they are submersible pumps. Also operate on positive pressure. Height of lift limitations for sub pumps depends on the dimensions of the bowls and the horsepower rating.

See this web site for good graphics and choices between shallow, deep, and solar pumps. This outfit sounds like they know what we're talking about (I have no connection with or knowledge of this business - simply did a google search).

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/waterpumps.htm

Good luck!

flcracker

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If you keep liquid chlorine pool chemicals in PVC containers that are well capped, the chlorine will not gas off----liquid sodium hypochlorite is MUCH easier to mix into/dissolve into water than solid crystals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts