1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
'T'was but a shot in the dark ....:rolleyes:.....
Sorry.....someone had to say it.
This is an odd story indeed. Being blind is probably not a disqualifier for owning guns by itself, but I do question this in light of the subject's AD.
Not saying it's automatic that a blind person should lose his 2A rights but I can understand why people would be real uneasy in the aftermath of this incident in allowing himm to retain his guns.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Does his blindness make him more or less at fault than a sighted person who ends up with a self inflicted wound from a negligent discharge? One could argue that a sighted person missed both the visual and tactile check of the weapons condition.

The article seemed to indicate that the primary concern was possible alcohol abuse rather than being blind.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a great uncle who went blind from diabetes. He kept a Colt .38 Special with him all the time. No ND's, although I learned pretty quick to "knock and announce" when I came to visit.

Alabama state law prohibits a person who is a "...habitual drunkard" from possessing a pistol, but I've never seen that law enforced or tried in local courts.

I think the BATFE 4473 mentions abuse of alcohol, along with the drug question, but to tell you the truth, filling those things out has become so automatic that I couldn't quote the wording. And I guess that would be a matter for Federal court.

Still, seizing a man's property without a court order bothers me. There are certainly instances when LEO's can seize or impound property without a court order or search warrant, but they are the exception rather than the rule. And 4 years (and no telling how much money from the defendant pockets) to get this settled seems extreme.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts