Gun Hub Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
971 Posts
An older lawyer was commenting on the state of society and told me that you don't want your banker to be a gambler, your minister to be a pervert or your doctor to be a drunkard.

I'll add that you don't want the head of your gun company to be a convicted felon.

· Premium Member
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
JRWnTN said:
I'll add that you don't want the head of your gun company to be a convicted felon.
Most here would be thunderstruck at the number of "prohibited persons" who are in the firearms industry… I know of four right off the top of my head whose names would be recognizable to everyone here, but who comport themselves admirably and within the restrictions imposed upon them. (And there's certainly historical precedent… think Marshall Williams and the afore-cited Harlon Carter!)

· Registered
10,462 Posts
Dean, I didn't think Marshall "Carbine" Williams fell under the restriction. Yes, he was a felon and did hard time, but the laws were different in the 1930s. If I'm wrong, it won't be the first or last time. And Carter's conviction was tossed and he joined the US Border Patrol.

· Registered
2 Posts
Rights Restoration...

That is a good question.
Wasn't it congress under Clinton that prohibted the restoration of rights?

The concept of prohibited possessor didn't come around until the '68 GCA, correct?

If so, was it retroactive? (Like the Violence Against Women Act)

Has this ever been fought?

Just some thoughts that have come to mind.

Mike
btw: Regardless of my view of him or his legal standing, SW was silly to promote/hire him without vetting him properly

· Registered
971 Posts
Re: Rights Restoration...

yarosh said:
That is a good question.
Wasn't it congress under Clinton that prohibted the restoration of rights?

The concept of prohibited possessor didn't come around until the '68 GCA, correct?

If so, was it retroactive? (Like the Violence Against Women Act)

Has this ever been fought?

Just some thoughts that have come to mind.
The federal restoration process stopped being funded in late 1992 (during first Bush administration), mostly at the urging of Sen. Ted Kennedy. The Supreme Court unaminously said that someone seeking relief must first go through the administrative process, before obtaining judicial review, so essentially there is no federal restoration process.

There are some cases in the lower federal courts where the prohibitions of the GCA '68 have been applied to persons convicted of felonies before it was enacted. I don't think the Supreme Court has ever decided the issue.

· Premium Member
7,059 Posts
The March 8 issue of "The Wall Street Journal" has a front page story about James Minder.

It's a long piece and talks about some of his past- such as a bank robbery- but also how he rehabilitated himself and became a respected businessman.[/i]

· Registered
10,462 Posts
The ATF was responcible for running the restitution of rights program. To me, that was like having the fox guard the hen house, but that's another problem. The program was never repealed, but came to a halt because Congress refused to fund the program. Even today, with a Republican controlled Congress, it's not going to be funded. The Supreme Court has taken the attitude that the mechanism is there, but just because it's not in operation doesn't mean you been deprived. With rulings like this, I worry about them taking on a case to decide if the RKBA is an individual right.

Minder is still on the board, jsut not CEO anymore. He was a board member of Saf-T-Trigger prior to going to S&W. But this puzzles me. The press gleefully hopping up and down saying Martha S can't be on the board of her own company anyone 'cause federal law forbids it. If she can't, how has Minder managed?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.