Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else watch this recent HBO series? I taped all 12 episodes and them watched them back to back over a week or so, which I'd recommend doing. There are a LOT of characters, many of whom look and dress alike, and MANY plot and subplot lines, so watching it this way helped cut the confusion a little. The HBO website has episode summaries, which I had to consult a couple times to figure out or understand what was going on and who was doing what to whom.

Very, very good, in the tradition of The Sopranos and Deadwood. Also, quite a bit of Godfather and Ragtime influences in there, and prolly many more. After you get to know them, many of the characters are quite interesting and compelling. Seems like everyone has secrets--some good, some bad.

Steve Buscemi as the lead was pretty good. He emoted/hammed/overacted in many of the softer/tender scenes, but was convincingly businesslike and/or menacing when he needed to be, which was fortunately most of the time. Just about all the other actors were quite good, too. I really got to like the Al Capone character, showing how he got his start.

I'm looking forward to the second season, which makes it Snakeworthy--recommended! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Yes I did and you're right it was hard to keep things straight. Still, I'll watch the next batch... maybe your way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
B Empire hit a home run! Authentic (except for the allowable artistic license) right down to the Fralinger's Salt Water Taffy that is still in business on the AC boardwalk!

Incredible work keeping the show "period" with really cool wardrobe and attention to details as minute as the two-button push switches that operated the electric lights back them.

Buscemi is wonderful just as he has been in previous films such as "Reservoir Dogs", "Armageddon", "Double Whammy", "Con Air" and even "Escape from LA" just to name a few.

It was a relief that due to the overwhelming positive feedback the film got, they re-upped for another season next year.

Let's hope this does not go the way of "Dead Wood" or "Rome" which were both magnificent!

WAY TO GO HBO!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SRT Cam1 said:
Incredible work keeping the show "period" with really cool wardrobe and attention to details as minute as the two-button push switches that operated the electric lights back them.
I'm no expert on the period but I only spotted one tiny anachronism. In the scene in an early episode where the revenue agents are shooting their revolvers on the range, there's a shot looking "down the line" and at least the first gun, the closest one, is a modern Smith 10 HB. I'm pretty sure they didn't have any heavy barrel M&Ps in 1920.

The "tin face" vet is one of the most interesting and different characters I've seen on TV in a long, long time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts