Gun Hub Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
No disrespect intended. Didn't mean to cross any lines SpecialEd. I did redirect back to the 45-70.

The History of the 45-70, the Springfield Trapdoor, and the American Wild West are all intertwined. Opinions on tangents vary dependent on perspective?

But the 45-70 holds a unique place in Americana, and American Military Heritage. That's why I'm in search of a 45-70 Bolt Action Carbine.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
This is one bolt action .45-70 I could find out there. It is quite an old design. The narrator says that a carbine version was made for civilian sales.

I am kind of surprised that no major manufacturer has made any .45-70 bolt action rifles lately, though. It seems like a real niche there for the taking.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXK_Pi-z2dA>

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thank You Gentleman.

But I find myself in the predicament of not being able to purchase a current production rifle in the action of my choice, based on the caliber of American History! That I have chosen.

Is it my failing?

I am willing to spend what it takes to purchase such a Modern firearm?
ALBEIT, is it a failing of OUR modern firearms manufacturers to offer a specific rifle action, in the caliber of my choice, that is ingrained into the History of Americana. But am I as the consumer "WRONG" to ask for such a product?

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So after much hand wringing, it's far easier to find Marlin Lever Action 45-70's both new & used. (it's easier to get a custom stock than a 45-70 bolt action)So what's your opinion of the odds of keeping 10 shots on a 10 inch paper plate at 200 yards while standing with a Scoped 45-70 Marlin Lever Action?

(I can manage 10 on 10 inches standing at 200 with a Scoped Mini-30 Tactical more often than not)

But the trigger, length, mechanical difference of action, and weight of a Marlin .45-70 are all factors that induce greater error on my shoulder. Is the desire to field a 45-70 worth taking the chance of a possible errant shot on actual game at 200 yards?

Should I purchase a Model 70 Winchester bolt action in say 30-06 or just rebarrel one of my bolt action .300 Win Mag Remington's?

(with an 18 inch barrel and the extra precision of a hand tailored bolt action 10 on 10 inches standing at 200 with a scoped bolt action carbine should perform near or better than a scoped 16 inch Mini-30. JMHO.)

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
If you already have more than one bolt action .300 Win Mag Remingtons I think it would be better in the long run to have your favorite smith re-barrel it to .45-70 and be done with it.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
There is allot in what you say csmkersh, but my Remington's are all push bolts. Still would lack the controlled round feed of the Mauser action.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
You wrote:

Should I purchase a Model 70 Winchester bolt action in say 30-06 or just rebarrel one of my bolt action .300 Win Mag Remington's?
It would be nice if you would read your own damned posts. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Option "A" would be a controlled round feed bolt action .45-70.

But option "A" is proving to be more difficult than expected.

Would your second option be a Marlin Lever? Or would you choose to rebarrel a Remington Bolt Action and give up on the controlled round feed?

Easier to follow?

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
M118LR,

A Siamese Mauser action from a gun show (I've recently seen several such HOWA-made actions for CHEAP in the TX shows.) is STRONG as an Arisaka & EASY to convert to a big rimmed action like the .45-70 & it IS already "controlled feed".

IF it was me, I'd find one & have SHILEN in Ennis, TX make a barrel & the stock it to please oneself. = A Siamese Mauser converted to 9.3x74R would be "a HOSS".

yours, sw

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
You should have be clear in the first place rather than being snotty now.
Sometimes what I think I typed isn't what others perceive when they read it. Not trying to be snotty.

What does a man do standing, that a woman can do sitting down, that a male dog does on three legs? :confused:

Can we shake hands? :thumbsup:

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
No, distance prevents that, but we can agree we're not enemies, Chief. :thumbsup:
I can certainly agree to that. :thumbsup:

Why I'd go so far as to say most of the folks on this forum are considered penpals. :grin:

Command Sergeant Major, you do realize that you are plagiarizing. Navy "CHIEF" should be Chief Warrant Officer instead of "Chief" as warranted in the GOAT LOCKER for the E7-E8-E9. (Those folks honestly earn thier acronyms.) I was just awarded by OUR politicians the title of "Chief" anything. :rolleyes:

41 - 56 of 56 Posts