Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I feel like a complete idiot. I have detail stripped the bolt of my SA SG CMP M1, but I cannot figure out how to get the damn thing back together!!

I understand the procedure...

I can't figure out how to simultaneously hold in the firing pin, push in the ejector, AND push the extractor "over the hump" to get it in snug. Seems to me that I need 3 hands to make this work, unless I'm really missing something.

If Private Pyle could do it...it can't be that tough. What's the secret here?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I use a 3.8 brass rod to push the ejector in while I slide the extractor in place. Takes some getting used to and strong hands, just keep at it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I purchased an M14 combination tool for $2 and now it's a breeze to put tear down and put back together the bolt. Just simply twist this way and that way, and viola....

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Wrap the bolt in a rag and clamp it ina vise. Then use the end of the bolt disassembly tool to depress the ejector spring while sliding the extractor in place. Make sure the detent in the ejector is lined up with the hole for the extractor pin.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just cleaned mine last night and put it back together pretty easily. This is my first garand as well. Anyway, I used a modified form of re-assembling the M14 bolt using an empty 30-06 case. Same idea but I needed something longer than a 30-06 case. So I took a fired 9mm case and stuck it over the end of a 30-06 fired case and stuck it in the chamber. Bingo! Sticks out about an inch which is lots of room to work with. Put everyting in the bolt except extractor and stick it in receiver. Attach oprod and engage bolt in it. Make sure ejector is lined up and firing pin is all the way forward in the bolt. Now with your right hand push the op rod forward to compress the ejector spring on the 30-06 empty case. Then push in extractor and you are done. I know it sounds complicated but it's not. Takes all of mabey 15 seconds to assemble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts