Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about a 3 point scope mount for my new m1a. can you still remove the bolt with the scope mount installed?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The SAI still allows bolt removal, but it gets a bit tricky.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Grump,

I guess I am a bit OCD and like to field strip and clean my M1A after every range session. I like to remove the bolt and clean it.

When you say SAI scope mount are you talking about the Smith Enterprises or the Sadlak Industries mount ( steel )?

this if for a new standard walnut SA that I finally rec'd in November 2009 ( Ordered in July 2009 )

I Love this gun! (after shooting this rifle it makes my M4 feel like a BB gun!)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks SlammerCop

that's exactly what I needed to know!

You have the steel or the aluminum Sadlak?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
SAI - Springfield Armory, Inc.

It's a 3rd-Gen.

I also have an un-marked almost identical unit which has a steel allen screw that bears in the vertical receiver groove--I like THAT much better than the all-aluminum SAI. The rear screw, going into the replacement for the s-clip guide, is about 1/4-inch further forward on the SAI, eliminating the ability to just drill and tap the guide (like I did...). I HATE that about the SAI.

The SAI, on the other hand, does have a round groove in the bottom usable for shooting with the iron sights out to about 300 or so. THAT I like!

The un-marked one uses captive thumbscrews. That's much better than the SAI "lose them" non-system. The two grooves on the Weaver "base" are NOT Mil-1913 spaced. Hate that. The SAI is Mil-1913. I'm thinking about having Pictatinny grooves and the sighting tunnel cut into my other one.

Now you have more data points than you want...

You can often get used SAIs for $75 or so. Just really check out the vertical rib, 'cause improperly mounting them can make them shear off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've worked on rifles with the SAI Gen 3, the Sadlak, the Smith, the crappy $60 ebay copy, and the ARMS. Although it requires that you hold your tongue just right sometimes, the bolt will come out with any of these setups.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts