Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jamie C. said:
And that's even with having one of the men from U.N.C.L.E. as their medical examiner!
J.C.
I loved Man from UNCLE when I was a kid, thought it was the greatest thing EVER. About 10 years ago some cable channel reran them and I taped and watched them all again. WTF was I thinking? This was the most inane show ever on TV! If they were such great secret agents, how the hell did they managed to get themselves captured EVERY WEEK! (James Bond seems to have the same problem.) I can't believe I even liked it when I was twelve, ferpissake.

The UNCLE Special P38 is still cool though. I still want one. I have a "cigar box" P38 project in the works that came with an extra hammer and two extra barrels--I WILL have my own real UNCLE Special someday! :) 8)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Snake45 said:
The UNCLE Special P38 is still cool though. I still want one. I have a "cigar box" P38 project in the works that came with an extra hammer and two extra barrels--I WILL have my own real UNCLE Special someday!
I remember getting spy equipment, based on the show, including a camera that would unfold in to a pistol.

·
Super Moderator
13,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JRWnTN said:
I remember getting spy equipment, based on the show, including a camera that would unfold in to a pistol.
That wasn't UNCLE stuff, that was Mattel's ripoff "Agent Zero" or some such name. These come up on eBay pretty regularly. There was also a penknife/gun, and a portable radio/rifle thing.

I had a "James Bond 007" Luger with scope, that shot dayglo red bullets, and a Topper "Secret Sam" that could be fired right through its attache case! Ideal had the license to UNCLE toys but their UNCLE Special didn't look anything like a P38. It didn't look like anything--at least not until the Ruger P89 appeared many years later! :D

·
Registered
760 Posts
I once worked for a for-real agency, which will remain nameless, where we sent guys on the street carrying walkie-talkies and 35mm cameras.

The "secret" was that the apparent walkie-talkies were actually cameras and the cameras were actually walkie-talkies.

The logic of this deception always escaped me.

:shock:

·
Registered
760 Posts
During the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago I was on a elevator in the Conrad Hilton Hotel when I was called on the radio. I was wearing an earpiece, so no one else on the elevator could hear the call.

I responded by talking into a microphone hidden in my coatsleeve.

I looked up and saw that everyone was staring at me.

Then a pretty young lady asked, "Don't you have a shoe phone for that?"

:lol:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Snake45 said:
JRWnTN said:
That wasn't UNCLE stuff, that was Mattel's ripoff "Agent Zero" or some such name. These come up on eBay pretty regularly. There was also a penknife/gun, and a portable radio/rifle thing.
I now have an excuse for my behavior: I received second rate toys as a child.

·
Super Moderator
13,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Mattel stuff wasn't second rate, and it actually preceded the "official" Ideal UNCLE stuff to market--it just wasn't the officially licesned UNCLE stuff, that's all (and IMHO, the Ideal UNCLE stuff was crappy--I never had any, but my friend did). Mattell had a pretty decent M1928 Thompson it sold in various guises for years.

Me, I was a Marx gun boy, mainly. Had their M1, M1903, M14, M1911A1, Luger, and Colt Detective Special. I always wished they'd make a P38, MP40, and M1 Carbine. Couple years ago I scored a Marx Colt DS off eBay for a reasonable price. It is life-size and VERY accurately shaped. Someday I'm gonna get around to airbrushing a very high-gloss lacquer finish on it and hang it on the wall. And I'm JUST the guy to do it! :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Snake45 said:
The Mattel stuff wasn't second rate, and it actually preceded the "official" Ideal UNCLE stuff to market--it just wasn't the officially licesned UNCLE stuff, that's all ...
Thanks. You've restored my faith in my parents.

I remember having a scoped, bolt action "big game" rifle, Mugumba, maybe. It came with a spring loaded "cartridge" that would forcefully launch a plastic bullet across the room. I seem to remember a series of them, including an M-14 and a lever action.

·
Super Moderator
13,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JRWnTN said:
I remember having a scoped, bolt action "big game" rifle, Mugumba, maybe. It came with a spring loaded "cartridge" that would forcefully launch a plastic bullet across the room. I seem to remember a series of them, including an M-14 and a lever action.
Now THAT was the good stuff! Made by Topper, there were six guns in three series--"Lieutenant" had an M14 and 1911A1; "Red River" had a lever-action and a Colt SA, and the "Mugumba" had your scoped rifle and a Colt Woodsman (in .45, no less!). These were introduced right at the very end of my toy-gun days and I never had any of them--they were also VERY expensive. They sell for BIG bucks on eBay--you can hardly find any of them for under $100 and seldom do any of them come with the ammo. Once there was a 1911A1 on there I had my eye on--it had been melted in a couple places but looked like I could fix it with my model-building skills. Was bidding against another guy for it at the last minute and someone came in and sniped it out from under us at the last second and it went for over $30 in that condition! Ah, good times....

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I had a 1903 I guess, it was a bolt action with a wooden bullet attached right to the bolt. (1965?) It had a sling and came with a little manual that showed the drills. It was waaay to heavy for me at that age. Later I got the Matel M-16 and LOVED that gun. You could rev that sucker up and shoot all day with the "realistic" machine gun sound.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
13,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SpecialEd said:
I had a 1903 I guess, it was a bolt action with a wooden bullet attached right to the bolt. (1965?) It had a sling and came with a little manual that showed the drills. It was waaay to heavy for me at that age. Ed
I think those were made by a company called Cadet or Kadet or something of the sort. I gather one of their primary markets was military schools and junior ROTC programs, maybe even high school "flag squads" back in the day (remember those? I STILL have the hots for two or three of the girls on my HS flag squad). I think they're still in business, although the gun now has some plastic on it--I seem to recall seeing some of these at the NRA museum gift shop in Virginia last year. The company also made a wood-and-steel lever action--I had one of those, and it came with the little manual too. That would have been very early 60s, before I discovered the cool Marx guns (or before they existed).

Edit to add: Just googled and found this:

http://www.realistictoyguns.com/wood-metal.mv

Parris was the company, Kadet was a name they used. They're still made--$20, a bargain! (I think they were about $12 40 years ago!) The lever action's still available too, though that one doesn't look quite like mine.

Second childhood? Crap, that'll have to wait until I'm done with my first one... :D

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Good heavens, the memories come flooding back!
I had the Uncle spy kit with the gun/camera, I had the Mugumba, and I had the Kadet!!!
Funny thing how tastes change with age. When I was a kid, I HATED military looking guns (except the Thompson,) and didn't much like lever guns, either. I LOVED those hunting rifles with the fancy stocks. Monte Carolo rollover checkpieces half the size of Rhode Island were just too cool, y'know? And white line spacers were the cat's pyjamas.... :barf:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Snake45 said:
[Second childhood? Crap, that'll have to wait until I'm done with my first one... :D
Hey, it's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Now does anyone remember the Johnny Seven or the Six finger? What was the name of the big air-pump bazooka looking thing. I had one of those too, it was awesome for a little kid.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
13,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just did some more checking about the Parris 03 Springfield. Evidently those $20 ones are 29" miniatures for little kids, and might be made in China. The full size ones are also still made but they're about $48, which makes a lot more sense pricewise (vis a vis the '60s price). When I was a kid they only had the full-size ones.

Couldn't find out on the Parris site if they still come with the little drill booklets, or if those might be available separately. I'd love to have one! Their site isn't especially friendly--they only sell wholesale and don't do much there to encourage retail shoppers and lookie-loos.

On the subject of toy '03s, I had a Marx plastic one that was pretty cool and darn close to fullsize. The bolt worked and it came with a plastic cartridge that would really eject. And quite vigorously, too, as I found out when I was demonstrating this cool feature to my cousin. The thing ejected clear up onto the roof of the house and disappeared! I was so disappointed that my uncle had to go get the ladder and get up on the roof and rescue the thing from the gutter! These guns come up every now and then on eBay and seem to run $50 or more in good shape (as do the battery-powered M14s). I'd love to find one of those Marx 8/10 scale M14s and "alter" it to take a 10/22 action (I'm pretty sure I could do it!).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.