Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure where it was taken Charlie; I was thinking of SFO with the approach lights out over the water like that, but it sure could have been JFK, or BOS. I'm guessing it was taken from a boat.

I found it on Reddit and wanted to share it with you guys. It's clear that this photographer knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
387 Posts
nice..

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
There's a reason I don't want my airplane driving or surgery performing being contracted out to the lowest bidder...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
If you like Obamacare you'll love Obama Air.
I'm about to have the same procedure done that I had 2 years ago. Same doc, same facility, different insurer. I'm guessing my out of pocket cost will be different too.

One of the IV meds I was given post op for "discomfort" won't be available this time around.

Sentara has determined it's too spendy.

Easy for them too say... :)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Attaboy Tim:cheers:

Walt morphine is your friend. Be sure to ask for PCA...
Oh, I'll have the PCA - and the timer on my phone will be set.

But I didn't need it very much last time around - the IV tylenol was quite effective.

Thanks, Obama !

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Wonderful picture Captain... thanks for sharing that with us.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Wonderful photo, Cap't! Taking photos like that involve some bit of luck, I'm sure. But it is an art form that takes a great deal of knowledge, skill and raw talent.

Walt, hope everything goes well. Sorry to hear about your insurance company and their "we know what's best for you" attitude. Charlie is right...morphine is your best buddy. If what they give you ain't working, raise holy hell. The Doctor can, on occasion, insist that is the only medication that will work for you.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Cap'n, can you explain to the uneducated (me) what "Breaking out at minimums" means, exactly, or at least the "minimums" part?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sure Ed. I'm sure a lot of folks don't know what that means.

Every aircraft certified for instrument approaches, and every crew, has a minimum altitude (called "Decision Height") that they are allowed to descend to on an approach . At decision height, one of two things must happen: you must see the runway environment and be in a safe position to land, or you must go around. On a typical approach using an ILS (instrument landing system), decision height would be 200 feet above the touchdown zone. Assuming you break out below the weather right at minimums, with an 800 foot per minute descent rate, you've got about 15 seconds to make any final adjustments and land.

Usually, you break out well above minimums, with quite a bit of time and altitude to work with, but every once in a while it goes right down to the wire, which is about what this picture depicts. And of course, every once in a while you get to minimums and don't see anything, which means you go around and try again (or divert to someplace with better weather).

(All of this assumes a manual, hand-flown landing. With an autoland system, you can go much lower).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts