Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall we had some posts dealing with dates of manufacture. Can anyone point me to a good source? It's a tangent sight model with s/n 143xx

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Charlie,

The early one's are difficult to date because of the destruction of the factory in WWII and the loss of the records.

Any proof marks other than the Belgian ones? Is it also slotted for a shoulder stock (I assume).

5 digits below like 40,000 (from memory) are pre-WW II, so a 143xx pistol would be late '30's.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kevin.

Yes, it is slotted and all the marks I can identify are Belgian. I know about WWII records but sometimes obscure books have weird stuff.

I wonder if the tangent sight guns had a different serial number range. I've got a plain fixed sight gun with a s/n lower than the questioned gun but it has Waa marks. My tangent sight serial number is higher and also has Waa 140

I'm just working off photographs but can find no Waa.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Thanks Kevin.

Yes, it is slotted and all the marks I can identify are Belgian. I know about WWII records but sometimes obscure books have weird stuff.

I wonder if the tangent sight guns had a different serial number range. I've got a plain fixed sight gun with a s/n lower than the questioned gun but it has Waa marks. My tangent sight serial number is higher and also has Waa 140

I'm just working off photographs but can find no Waa.
I don't think the Belgians made any Hi Powers without tangent sights before WW II. The Occupation guns had their own serial number range. IIRC all the non-tangent guns are post WW II. The Ingles ones with the fixed sights started life as a tangent sight gun, then they milled that section away and silver soldered in the fixed sight solution...they did a great job at it too.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Kevin Gibson et. al.,

Fwiw, the other evening after a TP meeting here, one of our guests showed a buddy & I an "as new" Inglis HP that has a "brushed silver finish" that he claimed was not only "factory" but "quite rare". ------ He said an "wartime sub-contractor" (He told us who the contractor was BUT I have "dis-remembered" it = OFD.) did some "finishing & assembly" of a few HPs for the Canadians & that the contract was soon canceled due to War's end.

Do any of you KNOW what the finish is?
(It looks like an applied finish like "Parkerizing" except for the color.)

YES, I know that this is "off topic".

yours, sw

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
According to The Belgian Browning Pistols by Anthony Vanderlinden, "FN offered the High Power with fixed sights from its origin in 1935. A small quantity of High Power pistols with fixed sights were sold on the commericial market but few were sold as government contract."

Pictures of the tangent sights and floorplate of the magazine as well as slide markings might help to narrow down the DoM.

Pre-war Belgian Army models had an H stamp on several parts, frame, barrel, slide, trigger, hammer, etc.

SW, Inglis made sorme presention guns with hard chrome or gold plating with minimal slide markings but I don't see anything about a brushed aluminum finish.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Kevin Gibson et. al.,

Fwiw, the other evening after a TP meeting here, one of our guests showed a buddy & I an "as new" Inglis HP that has a "brushed silver finish" that he claimed was not only "factory" but "quite rare". ------ He said an "wartime sub-contractor" (He told us who the contractor was BUT I have "dis-remembered" it = OFD.) did some "finishing & assembly" of a few HPs for the Canadians & that the contract was soon canceled due to War's end.

Do any of you KNOW what the finish is?
(It looks like an applied finish like "Parkerizing" except for the color.)

YES, I know that this is "off topic".

yours, sw
I have the book Inglis Diamond: The Canadian Hi-power Pistol by Clive M. Law and I've read the whole thing and I don't remember any brushed style finish. The presentation guns are as SpecialEd states.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
SpecialEd; Kevin Gibson,

That's why I asked. - I've seen NOTHING that even vaguely looks like that (especially in a military surplus firearm) other than an "old school" aluminized car muffler.

yours, sw

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
SpecialEd; Kevin Gibson,

That's why I asked. - I've seen NOTHING that even vaguely looks like that (especially in a military surplus firearm) other than an "old school" aluminized car muffler.

yours, sw
Wait, "aluminized" like a car muffler? Are you talking zinc plate galvanizing??? Yes, that was experimented with and that's a HUGELY rare gun...I mean, non-existent rare (if you could prove provenance). Is that what it is?

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Kevin Gibson,

I simply DON'T KNOW. = As I said, I have ZILCH more info except his "show & tell" & his comments to the "admirers".
(He told us that his mother's first cousin, who was evidently "a yank in the RCAF", brought it back from WWII & that it is willed to his grandson.)

Otherwise, I can say that it LOOKED pretty much like "muffler coating" but didn't know that "aluminizing" was ever used as a military firearms finish.

All else that I can do is HOPE that our "visitor" comes to another TEA PARTY meeting (that I'm attending, too) and that he is willing to let me inspect it.
(Should that happen, I'll get the serial number & hopefully get someone to make photos for posting to this site.)

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Kevin Gibson,

Btw, I tried W/O success to buy the "aluminized" HP. = NIFTY little pistol.

yours, sw

1 - 12 of 12 Posts