Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
folks,

my "new to me" (Winchester) US Rifle Model of 1917, sometimes called the P-17 Enfield, has a "stamp" in the left side of the stock that is inside of a rectangle about 3/8"x1".

it reads, "C-S.A.A."
(NO period is after the "C".)

a curator at the National Firearms Museum told me this afternoon that the stamp was a "British Commonwealth service stamp" BUT he said that he doesn't know what the "C-S.S.A" stands for.

does anyone here know?

yours, sw

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Hardly! It is a rebuild mark from the San Antonio Arsenal! S.A.A.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jimb16,

THANKS! = assuming that you are correct (rather than the curator from the NRA Museum), what does the "C" mean?
(i looked all over "the worldwidewierd" for the data, with ZERO luck.)

fyi, as a NATIVE-born Texican, i'm pleased, clear down to the ground, by it being a San Antonio re-build (for the UK's Home Guard).

THANKS AGAIN!

yours, sw

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
The C is an inspector's mark. Other letters sometimes appear with the SAA.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jimb16,

OK. - thanks.

now what does the "C" mean? = is there identity records of the different inspectors?
if so, WHO was the person?
(fyi, i've looked all over the "worldwidewierd" & can find nothing.)

yours, sw

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Can't help you with a name. But the letters L and H are sometimes seen instead of the C. I don't believe that the letter has anything to do with the inspectors actual name. it was just his identifying mark.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jimb16,

i've over the last week seen an "E" & a ""R" as well on some 1903A1 rifles.

i'm sure that the "C" identifies somebody - i just wonder WHO????

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I recently bought a rebuilt 03A3 it has a stamp in a box that reads SSAA. I assumed that was an Augusta arsenal rebuild stamp but now I'm not sure.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to all,

fwiw, my dear friend, Ed H_________, has aquired a 225 grain, .312 diameter, 2-bullet, mould that was originally designed for the .303 British cartridge. - the cast bullets, that that mould throws, fit my worn (but smooth) bore/chamber great.

frankly, i expect that the 225 grain cast bullet (from scrap wheelweights) from that mould, at 1800FPS, will shoot clear through a TX whitetail "the hard way" ( after "mushrooming" out to near .60caliber) & NOT wreck a whole lot of edible meat. = that's about the same loading as the WWI vintage, .33WCF load, which my grandfather used to kill many (well over a hundred) a TX deer.

color me: "a happy camper".

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to all:

03/01/11 UPDATE.

fyi, i was exactly CORRECT (for a change) about the 225grain wheelweight version of "THE LOAD". = it shoots GREAT!
(at 100 measured meters, Ed & i fired five, 6-shot, groups that were "coverable" with a quarter, off the benchrest.)

color me: PLEASED!
(the "really picky fellow from NH" that said that my P-17 rebuild wouldn't shoot decent groups was DEAD WRONG. nonetheless, i'm REALLY glad that he gave up on getting her to shoot!)

NOW, to feral TX hogs: BEWARE!

yours, sw

1 - 10 of 10 Posts