Gunhub.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question ; I found a CAI M-14 Sporter at a pawnshop and am curious as to what it's worth and if it's any good. They had it tagged at $550 and it has no other marks except sn. on l.hand side . The bore looked crisp and clean. Is this a deal or a ripoff?

·
Registered
122 Posts
My knowledge of the Century Arms M14's is very limited, but I can offer this much.

Early CAI M14's were made on US receivers (Federal Arms, I think). The later examples were made on Chinese receivers, I believe both Polytech and Norinco. I think perhaps the latest ones were just CAI stamped complete Polytech rifles.

Get the serial number and go to Differents on-line book (found on his site) for more details.

HTH

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
If the rifle has a Federal Ordnance receiver with a "C" series prefix serial number run, don't walk, to the gun shop and buy it. If it is a Norinco or Polytech Industries $550 is still a very fair price nowadays. I recommend getting the Chinese bolt converted to a USGI one. The free online book M14 Rifle History and Development explains why.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cai m-14

I got to thinking about this rifle and there was no marking on the heel, the only way that I knew it was CAI was the marking on the barrel that said CAI St Alb Vt M-14 Sporter. How do I know if it's Fed. Ordnance?

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
it will say so on the receiver....

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Re: cai m-14

John Crusher said:
I got to thinking about this rifle and there was no marking on the heel, the only way that I knew it was CAI was the marking on the barrel that said CAI St Alb Vt M-14 Sporter. How do I know if it's Fed. Ordnance?
What you describe is a Norinco semi-automatic M14 rifle imported into the USA by Century Arms International.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I bought one of these last year. Mine had a decent wood stock but with a rubber butt pad. Only had serial number visible, but had Norinco name on same side below wood line. I fitted a USGI stock and was quite happy with it. $550 is a decent price if it's in good shape with reasonably low use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts