Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here goes, a family member has just inheirited a nice on the outside P-14 rifle. But the barrel is pretty much gone. What he wants to do is convert said rifle to a .30-06 version. Can the barrel and bolt be changed over to the M1917 version? Is it safe to do so? Frankly, I told him to keep it like it is and try to find a P-14 barrel to replace the shot out barrel. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
To change a P14 to a M1917 you'd need:
Barrel.
Complete bolt assembly.
Trigger guard.
Magazine box.
Magazine follower.
Floor plate.
Rear sight assembly.
Bolt stop.

Unfortunately both P14 and M1917 original barrels are hard to find in any kind of usable shape.
However, most any competent gunsmith who offers barrel work could turn a barrel blank and MAKE a new .303 barrel.
Either way you go, the price is going to be prohibitive.
The best bet is to find a usable .303 P14 barrel and have it installed.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
emsmiller,

IF it was mine, i would have it rebored for a "32 SUPER Special" OR "a sort of 35Whelen" (depending on just how bad the bore is) on the .303. British case.
(reboring is NOT expensive.)

then shoot .32 or.35cal cast bullets in it @ 1600-2000FPS. = it would be "A KILLER" on deer/bear/elk/moose/whatever!

just my opinion.

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
emsmiller; all,

fwiw, my "P-17" barrel/chamber/throat is so worn that bullets designed for the .303.British cartridge are a near-perfect fit.
(for those who aren't familar with the "P-17"/"P-14" rifles, the rifling is REALLY deep & "wornout barrels" , if SMOOTH or hand-lapped to smooth, work well with "larger caliber" cast/jacket loads.)

my new "deer load" is a 225grain cast .314 bullet at @1600 FPS ====> i expect that that load will be:
1. easy on my old rifle barrel,
2. easy on my old body
and
3. perfect for the "Texas heart shot" on WT & exotics, as it PENETRATES.

also, you may want to try 13 grains of RED DOT in most any .30 caliber case.=
that's called "THE LOAD".
("the load" was invented by my dear friend, CE Harris, about 1990. "the load" works in 30.06, .308, .303 British, 7.62x54, 7.65 Argentine, 8mm Mauser & a host of other cases/rifles!)

yours, sw

1 - 4 of 4 Posts