Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone identify the makers of these buttplates. This has always been difficult for me as they all look the same. The one on the right does have a smaller plunger area and different checkerig on the trapdoor. Thanks guys

[IMG=left]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/MVC-011S.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
ID

The one on left looks to be WWII SA..the one on right seems to have a border ala WRA or IHC, and you can telll more by looking at the back.

Semper Fi !!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I don't know John, they look like Garand plates to me!( Just kidding!)

Left, early SA( Gas-port),anywho, post-Gas-trap.
Right- WRA

·
Registered
708 Posts
Gas Trap buttplates did not have a trapdoor.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
PfcJohn, post-gas-trap means AFTER Gas-traps. Also, I stated it was a Gas-port buttplate(See;Below). Early SA but post- Gas-trap.
Keep questioning though, maybe you'll make Corporal!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
PfcJohn, post-gas-trap means AFTER Gas-traps. Also, I stated it was a Gas-port buttplate(See;Below). Early SA but post- Gas-trap.
Keep questioning though, maybe you'll make Corporal!!

I guess I should turn on the brain when I read something. :oops:

I was a corporal, for awhile anyway. :?

That doesn't change the fact that gas traps did not have trap doors in their buttplates!!! :lol:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Now, this is priveledged information John but, they didn't have holes in the buttstock either!!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Jeez, a tough crowd. :shock:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heres a pic of the back guys. What is it you look for there? Thanks[IMG=left]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/Fishing/MVC-013S.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
417 Posts
Some observations

I know precious little about buttplates, but these two were obviously done to different patterns on different dies. From what I 've seen the one on the left looks like early SA and the one on the right appears to have the distinctive pattern of WRA plates. Does it have the 2S lettering common to WRA plates? I can't see any. I would be tempted to guess postwar, HRA or IHC, unless you have a known source on the right hand one.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My apologies

My apologies for the mis-identification. I was just observing based on the HRA plates I have and several more claimed to be IHC. If you have a known source, that is obviously what you go with. I do have several postwar plates that are worn in a similar fashion and degree and from those is how I surmised my response.

I saw your question over on CSP about these and followed it over there. Good luck in your quest and maybe someone will pop in with more information. Again, sorry I couldn't help.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to thank all for their opinions, right or wrong thats how we all learn. I don't know that they are WW11 thats just what I thought when I got them. I am fairly new to Garands and leaning more everyday. It seems that there are alot of things that noone knows about different manufactures , they were more concerend in getting parts cranked out for the war effort than keeping records. Who would have thought that all these years later they would be collector pieces. Thanks guys

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have attached photos of 3 WRA butt plates, all slightly different but all marked 2s on the back. I have several of each of these variations. Note the WRA butt plates do not have a oval protrusion over the area of the trap door hinge pin. The one on the Right has a slight protrusion in this area, the one in the middle has a flattened area that looks stamped or ground, and the one on the left has a perfectly flat surface. Note the pattern on the trap door is not exactly the same either. They all have distinct borders, but SA also had a border, just not quite as distinct, so it is not always apparent on a worn butt plate. Please note the pattern of the lower section of checkering. WRA has distinct sharp points where this curves up around the trap door. All other manufacturers had a blunt tip here. Judging by your pics, I think they are both WWII SA butt plates.[IMG=left][/IMG]

·
Registered
209 Posts
I thought I knew how to post a pic but I guess not. If someone will explain how to do it I will try again. Pic is in Photobucket.[/img]

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aimit, click on "IMG" paste the pic there then click on "img" again then post. If you hit preview it puts in a extra "Img" and messes things up

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here is the pic to go with my previous response to your question about butt plates.[IMG=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/2cufms2/WRA%20HRA%20butt%20plates/MVC-004S.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, Let's see if I can mess this up a little bit more. I got the pic posted, but it's a different pic and the plates are in different order, so my previous post will not make sense. I guess I better start over. These 3 WRA butt plates are all marked 2S, but they all have subtle differences. Look at the area where the trap door hinge pin goes through. The one on the left has a slight raised lump right over the pin location, much like SA but not near as prominant. The one in the middle is perfectly flat, and the one on the right is also flat, but looks like it has been ground slightly to make it even flatter. I have some more WRA plates all with these same differences so I think these are just 3 common variations of WRA butt plates. Check out the lower checkered area and see that it comes to sharp points where it wraps around the trap door. WRA butt plates are the only ones that come to sharp points. I think that when new, WRA had a slightly more prominant border around the checkering pattern than other butt plates, but they all started out with a border, so once they got a little worn it was no longer a good indicator. I have a couple of WRA butt plates with no border at all. It is worn clear off. You will also see that the checkering pattern on the trap door is slightly different on each plate. These types of slight differences, even among brands is what causes some people to have trouble identifying butt plates. The plates you are asking about do not have these WRA indicators. I still think both plates you are trying to identify are WWII SA plates. [IMG=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/2cufms2/WRA%20HRA%20butt%20plates/MVC-004S.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for taking the time to post pics and the explaination. I'll keep this post for future reference. Thanks again. Bill

1 - 20 of 25 Posts