Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this at an auction, it’s a rifle with the name “Luger” on it, I am told it looks like a Mauser rifle but I don’t think these are Mauser proofmarks.

Any help will be appreciated

Again any help will be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,182 Posts
I know that Stoeger owned the Luger name/trademark in the US for many, many years. I've never heard of a Luger rifle but it's not inconceivable that Stoeger could have marketed a line of rifles so branded in the '50s-'60s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the “eagle with an “N” underneath it” is a definitive German proof mark

And I know the “3 crowns” is usually associated with Cologne (Germany)

But I am not sure what “AC” or “KETT” means?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I can find on google; ac - WW-II German ordnance code assigned to Carl Walther, Zella-Mehlis, Germany.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
“KETT” comes up as “Kettner Eduard” who made guns somewhere between 1900s and 1930s…..so that’s likely the manufacturer

Here’s an archive photo of their catalog I found on google, the rifle here also has the same / similar looking dual trigger system

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still not sure where the “Luger” name fits in?

There’s really not much info out there on “Kettner Eduard” either

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I take it it's 8MM? and which one?Interesting rifle from the looks of it and I bet that girl is a tack driver!;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I take it it's 8MM? and which one?Interesting rifle from the looks of it and I bet that girl is a tack driver!;)
It’s in 30-06….and yes it actually shoots quite nice.

I think it’s a pretty good looking rifle too

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I first bought the rifle, it came with this huge and ridiculous scope….

Not only did it look completely out of place, and is sitting way too high….and was only a 12x power (which isn’t impressive for a scope this large), but my main problem with this over sized scope is the field of view.

It’s hard to take pictures of; but looking through it almost makes me feel like I am having tunnel vision or something:

Just for comparison; this is the Fontaine 3-9x40 scope I put on it instead.

As you can (hopefully) clearly see the Fontaine scope’s field of view is way better and the scope looks way more at home on such a rifle too.

Here are just some pictures from google of similar full stock rifles and how their scope sits:

And here is mine:

Before:

After:

So not only is the Fontaine scope a way better scope but also looks right at home on the rifle.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
If you're an NRA member, (and you better be) you can send a SASE to the American Rifleman magazine to the "Dope Bag".
The NRA Tech staff will attempt to answer ONE question per letter and send you a response of what they can find out.
This is for NRA members ONLY.

They have enormous resource libraries and people who are very knowledgeable.
Include a few pictures and the visible markings.

Just from looking at the photos, I'm going with this being a post-war rifle built on a commercial action.
The action may not be German, possibly a Belgian, Eastern Europe, or Spanish Mauser commercial, and built into a fine sporter in Germany.
The 30-06 caliber would indicate an import into the USA, or sales to American GI's stationed in Germany and sold thorough a PX.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you're an NRA member, (and you better be) you can send a SASE to the American Rifleman magazine to the "Dope Bag".
The NRA Tech staff will attempt to answer ONE question per letter and send you a response of what they can find out.
This is for NRA members ONLY.

They have enormous resource libraries and people who are very knowledgeable.
Include a few pictures and the visible markings.

Just from looking at the photos, I'm going with this being a post-war rifle built on a commercial action.
The action may not be German, possibly a Belgian, Eastern Europe, or Spanish Mauser commercial, and built into a fine sporter in Germany.
The 30-06 caliber would indicate an import into the USA, or sales to American GI's stationed in Germany and sold thorough a PX.
Sadly I am not lucky enough to live in America.

I live in Denmark, Europe

(And no we are not commies )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Decided to add a few accessories today.

I firstly wanted to get rid of the surprisingly uncomfortable buttpad, and since I couldn’t find one that said “Luger” on it; I decided to just go with a recoil buffer style one.

(Yes, I did wipe off the excess glue and yes it is secured with the original screws and using the original holes too).

I have been wanting a cheek rest for it too, and I don’t like those “tactical” ones every gun store seem stock.

Then found a guy on eBay of all places who makes makes these leather ones.

They are made of full grain leather as well.

I ordered a cheek rest with cartridges holders and a matching leather sling.

(Don’t worry those are spend cartridges, just put them in for photos)

For the keen eyed; yes those are cable ties securing the cheek rest tightly…..and there’s a very good reason for that….with all natural leather products; they will form themselves after what they are applied to over time and the cable ties will ensure a tight fit.

I am very pleased with the way it is now; and the guy on eBay did a fantastic job with the leather accessories!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts