Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some states don't allow military look, magazine feed, assault type rifles for hunting, at least that's what I've heard.

Does yours?

In my home state, as long as it only has a 5 round mag in place and is at least 243 caliber it's not a problem.

Owner: http://www.WarRifles.com

308 Holes Make Invisible Souls

"Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God"
........Benjamin Franklin

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Delaware is restricted to Shotguns. The state is so small that centerfires can almost exit the state and enter another... :wink:

Ed

·
Registered
237 Posts
nj is a shotgun state also but they will let you hunt groundhogs with a center fire rifle :?:

·
Registered
464 Posts
The only firearm restriction I've seen is on the Bison hunt drawing near Delta junction. Must have something that can launch a 200 grain bullet or better.

There are specifc archery only dates on various seasons and areas, For example, bow hunters get a 10 day head start on moose in the Anchorage borough.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Here in CO as long as the caliber is bigger than .22 and soon to be if not all ready, smaller than .50 and can hold no more than 5 rounds, Any thing can go. Last time I hunted Antalope in MT( 15 Years) there were no restriction. On one of my hunts I brought one of My Whispers AR. A 30 caliber on a 221 fireball cartridge. It had a 20 round clip. I was hunting a 60 thousand acre ranch. What they called a county road was actually a two track road. I thought I was on private roads on the ranch but there were a few county ones. Well I was hunting with a 20rd clip which I was told was leagal and hunting a 4 wheeler, unbeknownced to me I was on one of these county rooads. I see the lights a comming after poping off some hail mary shots at some fleeing Antalopers. I was nervous about the 20 rd clip because I was use to it being illeagle in CO. He sight me for not getting both feet on the ground fast enough before shooting :oops: He didnt even look twice at the clip. The funny thing about this story is that I love the MT fish and game hats. Has such a cool logo. Here this guy is finning me 300.00 for an infraction and I am offering him 50.00 for his hat. He wouldnt sell so I offered him a hundred bucks. Well I guess that was to much for him to resist. He said he would be out of uniform if he sold the hat off his head and could be fired so he tore up his pick up looking for his other hat :shock: Since he couldnt find it he droped the fine to 100.00 :lol:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ohio is a shotgun only state.Handguns are legal tooas long as it is equal or greater in power than 357 mag and is a straight walled pistol caliber....Lots of deer in OH.Big ones too.....Can't wait for opening day.....Happy hunting to all you guys.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cut a line across Michigan roughly where the "vee" of the thumb joins the rest of the mitten.Above is rifle country.Below is shotgun.

Roughly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here you can use any rifle that is above .22 cal., shotgun or handgun for deer. You can only carry a handgun if that is what you are hunting with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can use them in Virginia if your county allows rifles. Some of the eastern counties are quite flat and rifles are not allowed. No problems though over here on the mountain side :D As long as the rifle is over .22 for deer or bear.

You can also carry any pistol for any season now if you have a CWP.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Florida allows a magazine fed rifle as long as it has 5rd max capacity.
I was questioned fy fish and game when they say a 30 round mag... painted red... I had a capacity limiting plug in it. After explaining for 1/2 hour, he finally believed me... and my hunting trip was over.....

Gerry

G

·
From my knowledge bank :)

Iowa: Shotgun Only....
Maryland: Can have High cap Mag, but no more than 5 rounds. No need for plug.
Florida: 5 round mag. Need plug. Wood blocks custum cut work in an SKS.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
PA doesn't allow semi-auto rifles, or handguns. no FMJ bullets for hunting, either. It doesn't say you can't use whatever caliber CENTERFIRE rifle you want, though. so I guess you could use a 22 hornet, or .218 bee, and nobody could say anything. my particular county in PA is shotgun only, because its pretty well developed. No hunting with battle rifles in PA! (unless they're mausers, or 1903s...but you can always take the gas piston out of your yugo SKS, or take the gas nut out of your M1 rifle...there's no capacity limit for deer)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mississippi has no Military rifle or magazine capacity limit restrictions caliber shall be .22 or larger, however your shotgun shall be equiped with a plug and incapable of removal with out disassembly of the shotgun, and capacity no more than 3 shells go figure.
One can hunt Deer with black powder rifle .38 caliber or larger, Shotgun can be loaded with single ball or slug, modern rifles & shotguns, recurve long or compound bow, crossbow with disability permit, spear, or jump from tree wit a K-Bar in your teeth.
JT

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
We here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia are in a mixed bag.

There is no specific provison bannig "assualt weapons" from hunting but there are a few intracies. Ca. BLM land is off-grounds for assualt weapons SHOOTING/TARGET practice except at approved ranges....there arn't any. BUT you can't find squat on HUNTING with one :wink:
On National FOREST lands the general rule(s) mentioned below apply. There ain't no hunting in National Parks. Private property is just like the Nat. Forest.....

Basically here in the PRK, any centerfire rifle above a .22 and smaller than 50 BMG for GAME animals (yea, I'm like going to go hunt rabbits with a 50 cal......duh......). ANY caliber, any type above .17 for NON-Game species (Coyotes and the like). For BIRDS, no shotgun larger than 10 gauge (I've never seen one, though I'd like to!) and for BIRDS- no more than 3 rounds! If ya' got a pump or auto larger than 3rds ya' gotta put a dowl down the mag well so that you can't hold more than 3. If memory servrves the law says it can be any device (like the dowl) but that it can't be removable without complete dissassembly of the gun.

There are NO restrictions on mag size for centerfirel rifle hunting. Let me repeat it for the CA hunters who sem to have been misled. THERE IS NO PROVISION LIMITING YOU TO TEN ROUNDS WHILE HUNTING GAME ANIMALS. I have personally talked to 3 wardens in the field, been to both the Sacramento office and the Redding branch and asked to speak to whoever knew most about game laws. All have said there is no restriction other than the 3 rd. limit for shotguns while bird hunting (including turkey). Can't buy mags over 10 rounds anymore but possession and use arn't restricted- thank God (yet............ :shock: ) Call DFG or Ca DOJ if ya' don't believe me.

Crossbows pretty much are limited to the same seasons as rifle season (as opposed to Archery season). As far as I know/remember there was some hoopla from the granola left about trapping and to the best of my memory its pretty much non-existant except with newer/certain kinds of traps (I could/may be wrong)

Its just a darn shame there ain't no season on Liberals! :shock:

Live long, Free.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Just noticed Special Ed's comments. I can attest to to what been said about Deleware. Its 2 1/2 hour drive stem to stern at 55; about 10 minutes up north from side to side, about 45 minutes side to side down south!

Hey Special Ed. My pop never paid child support and still lives there, try not to strafe him :shock:

Live long, Free.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
In Texas, any rifle is legal for most game regardless the caliber. For deer, sheep and antelope there is a restriction to centerfire. There is no restriction on mag capacity either. See Means and Methods in Texas game regs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Screwed up hunting laws . Welcome to The Peoples Democratic Pinecone Republic Of Kanada . When the liberals passed our gun control laws they did it on looks . I can hunt with my AR-180 but not with my AR-15 . The AR-15 is restricted and can only be fired on approved ranges . An auto reciever can lose it's status if the auto parts are remove making it a converted auto/semi-automatic . I have a TRW , Winchester and Norinco M-14s that i can hunt with but i can't hunt with an FN FAL because of the looks . We could legally hunt with handguns until 1979 but that ended and even though it isn't too difficult to aquire a permit to carry a handgun in the bush for protection , you can't shoot an animal with it unless you can prove you were under attack . We have a minnimum barrel length for centerfire semi-auto rifles of 18.5 inches but no restriction on .22s or shotguns or bolt centerfires as long as the overall length in 26 inches . Almost everyone i know has a 14 inch shotgun . There never has been a mag capacity for .22s but out hunting a shotgun must be plugged for a 3 round total and centerfires must have the mags blocked to 5 rounds with the exception of an M1 garand or anyother rifle with an internal , non-removable magazine . Different provinces have caliber restrictions for big game but most are .243 and up . If a small game season is open but not a big game season you can hunt bunnies or timber wolves with anything . If a big game season is open you must have a big game tag to take any gun into the bush greater than .243 . I can chop a 10/22 into a little subgun semi-auto look alike but i had my Feather AT-22 confiscated when they were deemed evil and prohibited by looks . I can drive around with a gun on my seat but if i leave the truck to a point where it is not in my immediate care and control i can get busted for unsafe storage . Game wardens seem to pay special attention to those hunting with military style firearms but mostly they are waiting for an invitation to shoot it . All of these laws are on the books but most good hunting areas in Canada are in very remote locations and a lot of the liberal adgenda gets overlooked . 50 cal. is legal to hunt with but the USA has passed a law so that .50 rifles , ammo and reloading components can't be exported so sources are drying up . We are finding European sources . Barrett .50 rifles are illegal , specified by name but all other manufacturers are o.k. as long as they are bolt action repeaters or single shots . If a Canuk wishes to hunt and own firearms he must take the Federal Firearms Safety course and then the Hunters Safety Training course and then apply for a firearms possession and aquisition liscence and then register the firearms purchased and then purchase hunting liscences . If an American wishes to hunt up here all he need do is a temporary online Canuk registration which is free and good for 90 days , show the permit at the border and purchase a hunting liscence . Much easier for an American as American tourist dollars are in great demand .

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Atr...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Holy shit! (Can I say that here?) Holy shit man, I NEVER thought I would appreciate living in the People Rep. Of Kalifornia, but there it is......... :shock: ....... I'm glad I'm here and not there in Canada. I thought our PC-Calif laws were wacked........

Hang in there man. If 'ol dubbya has his way with the Bushy doctrine of anti-terroism we just may have to have Canada liberated........ What? What's that you say? You Don't have the right to vote? What? You're country's been secretly attempting to create a nuclear device?

Can we hunt moose with an Abrams tank once we're there??????

Hey, even the Iraqis can keep thier AK's............. and yet they're taking yerr' .22........... what a planet!

·
Registered
17 Posts
meathead357 , you are so close to being bang on the money . It would take pages and days to discuss the elitist corruption within the Parlimentary system of government . The liberals in this country were elected , with a majority government , with 36% of the vote . There is no way to unseat them with redrawn electoral boundries giving immigrant communities and Quebec the majority of power .

As to liberation , 64% of Canuks absolutely hate our system as reflected in the last national election and would meet Abrams tanks at the border with jerry cans of fuel and maps to Ottawa .

Of course we'd reserve the right to search American soldiers for cameras because we wouldn't want the cleansing to be shown on CNN .

I remember being free and requiring no permission from the state to carry any gun i wanted , anywhere i wanted .

The gov't estimates 18 million guns in the hands of 33 million people and registration has been mandatory for 5 years now . By thier own figures , 6 million guns have been registered and the prevailing sentiment it that , they'll find out about the guns i didn't register when they come to get the ones i did .

Registration means confinscation and i'm the living proof . While i was at work one day they came to the house and siezed my Feather AT-22 and an SPAS 12 shotgun that i had legally purchased and legally registered . An act of Parliment put them on the prohibited list and no one was notified . Agents of the state just showed up at everyones door and collected them . They did it while people were away from thier homes to avoid confrontations . They made instant paper crimminals out of 10s of thousands of gunowners as i know of no one who trusts them and i know of no one that doesn't own unregistered guns .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts