Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspecting some rounds i loaded last spring for my 06 and found that half had splits from the neck to the base of the shoulder. All were done with Nosler brass, 165 gr.Hornady sst, 57.5 gr. of R.L. 19, and CCI250 mag primers. The loads shot very well, with a 3 round, 1/2 inch group at 100 yards out of my Win. model 70. Typically, if a case builds pressure due to environment changes, the primer or bullet is pushed out. what else would cause the neck and shoulder to split while sitting in a box?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Splits in the neck are usually seen in older cases and are sometimes called, "season cracks."

When you see them in new cases it is often because the neck was not properly annealed in the last stages of manufacturing. Another possibility is a sizing die that works the brass too much although that is something that should be noticed due to difficulties seating bullets.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hey Charlie, long time no see. Hummer

Charlie is absolutely correct (as usual) and I have seen it from cases that were improperly stress relieved. During the stress relieving the case necks/shoulders turned RED which ruined the case.

They loaded up just fine and put into storage and when box opened 18 months later about 1/3rd of the necks had split exactly as described.

I could tell my looking at them they were a dark blue instead of a light blue and knew they had been heated too long by the propane torch.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I know a few guys at my gun club (ahem) who would say that you could just use Scotch Tape to hold them closed long enough to get them chambered, fire 'em, and then reload them again.

"Reload them again." Is that redundant?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts