Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the Gear Heads

A Buddy sent me these pictures of an engine failure in a Locomotive.

The locomotive is a 212 ton machine powered by a 183 liter, 4400 hp V16 4 stroke diesel

while working under load it experienced what is known in the trade as a "catastrophic uncontained engine failure".

The first picture below shows that the engine exploded and one of the 16 cylinder-packs that form the engine was ejected through the engine bay body side and thrown clear of the locomotive.
In addition to this the piston from that cylinder was thrown free by the force of the failure. It was ejected so violently that it traveled through the air and crashed through the roof of a nearby home where it imbedded itself in an interior wall.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
:shocked: Good grief! Man, I am so happy that isn't my house! I hope no one was home. That would be a bit frightening ... all of a sudden a huge piston comes tearing through the ceiling and imbeds itself into the wall.
I think I'd need a change of underwear. :oops:

Hope no one was hurt ......

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
TommyGunn said:
:shocked: Good grief! Man, I am so happy that isn't my house! I hope no one was home. That would be a bit frightening ... all of a sudden a huge piston comes tearing through the ceiling and imbeds itself into the wall.
I think I'd need a change of underwear. :oops:

Hope no one was hurt ......
Don't worry, after the lawyers show up everyone in the house and adjoining neighborhood will be crippled for life plus 20 years.

Geoff
Who is old gray and cynical this morning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts