Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what I can expect at 25 yds shooting and zeroing in with CB's vs what I would get when I switched to a LR?

Although I have a nice area to shoot in my back yard I would prefer not to bother the neighbors (who are not really close to me) by popping a lot of LR's. I can go about a mile away on my quad but prefer not to haul the gear around.

Thanks....

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Let me ask this: What is it that you want to hit with the CBs?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, what I want to hit with the CB's are the critters that can, will, and do get into my attic and walls. The reason I use CB's is to keep from annoying my neighbors (or hopefully so).

But what I'm looking at is just to zero my rifles in without traveling a mile or so hauling my gear and then knowing what, if any, POI changes going from a CB to a LR without changing the zero thus making all my rifles ready to hit something when using LR's while out in the woods or fields shooting woodchuck or other varmits.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Okay, got it.

First thing I'd recommend is picking one rifle to use for your backyard critter-killer. This might involve testing several of your guns to see which is most accurate with the CBs.

Now take that rifle to your regular range and shoot it with both LRs and CBs and see what happens. It's not out of the question that they will both print to same POI @ 25 yards or acceptably so. If so, you're in luck.

If not, there are a couple things you can do. One is to designate that rifle for CB/critter-killer use only, sight it in for the CBs, and put it to work, leaving your others for LR use.

Another is to have two complete scope systems for that rifle. I've found that you can remove and replace a .22's scope (rings attached) and as long as you put it back on the same way every time (exact same placement and same screw-tightening pattern), it will return to zero, or so close to it that you need a damn steady benchrest to spot any change of POI. Have one scope set up for LR use and other for the CBs. You can get a cheap scope for the CB use and manually adjust the objective lens to be parallax-free at 25 yards for even more accuracy. Then it's just a two-minute job to swap scopes from one use to the other.

You could also stay with one scope (or set of metal sights) and count and record the number of clicks in each direction to swap from one use to the other. The downside to this one is I never can remember which way I had it set last.

Another thing you could do is buy a good pellet rifle for backyard use. These aren't much (if any!) less powerful than CBs, and about as accurate. The airgun will actually make a little more noise than CBs in a long rifle barrel (mine sounds about like an aluminum screen door slamming shut), but the advantage is that an airgun might be perfectly legal where a firearm is not. Even if the .22 is legal in your neighborhood, your neighbors (and the cops) are less likely to be upset with you shooting an airgun in your backyard than a .22, even if you carefully explain that the CB caps aren't much if any more powerful or dangerous than an airgun.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks....Yea, the thing I was really looking for was to be able to use any of my rifles for either use.

I guess I'll just have to try them out as you stated.

I do have a pellet gun and have gotten a chipmunk or two with it but feel better shooting a .22 at them.

So anyhow, thanks again....

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
ExSarge said:
the thing I was really looking for was to be able to use any of my rifles for either use.
That might in fact be possible but you will never know if it is or not unless you test any rifle you wish to so use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts