Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone has yoke all over his craggy squash…
Dan Rather's Forgery Fit
by Brent Bozell

CBS News and anchorman Dan Rather have entered the journalistic equivalent of one of Dante's circles of Hell, forced to live forever with a scandal they created. With their Texas Air National Guard forgeries, they now live in a neighborhood of national media embarrassments. Faked Food Lion resumes. Staged GM pickup truck explosions. Janet Cooke's profile of Jimmy the eight-year-old coke addict. Jayson Blair's phony travelogues from "West Virginia."
The rest o'the story…

This puts Rather and CBS News right up there with Moore, Michael, - slob journalist and faux documentarian.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I thought that one was the Washington Post.

Dean's quote in a quote:

Janet Cooke's profile of Jimmy the eight-year-old coke addict.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More…

Big Mike said:
I thought that one was the Washington Post.
It was… that's for whom Janet Cooke did her story!

On the core subject…

CBS rival network news organization ABC has joined other mainstream news media to raise questions about the authenticity of those documents presented last week on CBS's 60 Minutes that questioned Bush43's National Guard service in the early '70s.

The third place network aired interviews Tuesday night with two of the document experts hired by CBS to examine the documents in which they said that they had warned the network that they might be forgeries, advising CBS to not use them in the report.

North Carolina-based document examiner Emily Will told ABC:
I found five significant differences in the questioned handwriting, and I found problems with the printing itself as to whether it could have been produced by a typewriter. I told them that all the questions I was asking them on Tuesday night, they were going to be asked by hundreds of other document examiners on Thursday if they ran that story.
She asserted that she had sent the producer of the news feature two E-mail messages expressing her concerns, one on the night before the CBS program aired.

Another document examiner hired by CBS. Plano, Texas-based Linda James, said that she expressed similar concerns.
I did not authenticate anything and I don't want it to be misunderstood that I did. And that's why I have come forth to talk about it because I don't want anybody to think I did authenticate these documents.
Will and James later made similar comments in an interview appearing in Wednesday's Washington Post.

For their part, CBS later issued a statement saying that the two examiners "played a peripheral role and deferred to another expert."

Meanwhile, Marian Carr Knox, the secretary of Lt. Col. Jerry B. Killian, who served as one of Bush's commanders in the Texas Air National Guard and who reportedly wrote the memos, told Wednesday's Dallas Morning News that she also believes the documents are fake.
They're not what I typed, and I would have typed them for him.
According to Knox, however, the contents reflected her boss's opinions of Bush.

The beleaguered Rather, in an interview with Wednesday's Wall Street Journal commented that the affair is a case of "those who are uncomfortable with the truth of the broadcast seeking to change the subject … raising questions about the documents because they can't deny the fundamental truths of the analysis. Not content to allow the story to play out on its own, the Republican National Committee accused the Democrats of providing the memos used in the CBS telecast.

(That would be wrong, of course.)

Similarly, but less overtly political, was a letter signed by 40 House Republicans sent by Majority Whip Roy Blunt (Missouri) and the House's third-ranking Republican, to CBS News President Andrew Heyward calling on the network to retract the National Guard story.
To date, CBS' response to the specific and devastating criticisms of the accuracy of its reporting has been to question the motives of its critics, to offer half-truths in its own defense, to refuse to disclose crucial evidence, and to circle the wagons.
Meanwhile, Lt. Col. Bill Burkett (ret.), a disgruntled former Texas National Guard soldier from the Baird-Abilene area, has become the the focus of intense media scrutiny into whether he provided the disputed memos concerning President Bush's military record to CBS News. This stems in part because for years, he has charged, but not proven, that Mr. Bush's political operatives sanitized the then-Texas governor's Air National Guard records at Guard headquarters in Austin.

·
Registered
855 Posts
For me, the most outrageous defense of CBS that I've heard out of Rather Biased is to the effect that, while possibly forgeries, running with the story was okay because the underlying allegations are accurate. By that standard information never needs to be vetted as long as it comports with the journalist's notion of what the "facts" are.

·
Registered
973 Posts
LIProgun said:
For me, the most outrageous defense of CBS that I've heard out of Rather Biased is to the effect that, while possibly forgeries, running with the story was okay because the underlying allegations are accurate. By that standard information never needs to be vetted as long as it comports with the journalist's notion of what the "facts" are.
I've heard similar excuses before when someone is caught falsely reporting a hate crime or police abuse. "Well, it did bring attention to this important issue."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts