Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts
It hurts just to read that headline!!! :shocked:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,627 Posts
Hate to see anyone get hurt (especially there!), but that is a pretty silly way to carry any handgun, much less a Glock. :ehsmile:

As an aside, though, the MSM treatment of this accident was much better than I expected, especially from a Seattle newspaper. The reporter could've taken this opportunity to trash handguns in general and CCW in particular, but didn't. Kinda refreshing, actually.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,758 Posts
J.D. Langendorph said:
...

Sounds like the typical Glock owner. :shocked:
I'm not a GLOCK owner myself, but I know several and I don't think any of them can be categorized other than the "typical" friendly shooters I meet at my local range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,499 Posts
Yeah. I think it had less to do with the gun and more to do with method of carry. I can see the same thing happening with a Springfield XD, a Smith & Wesson M&P, and many other types of guns as well.
I feel bad for the guy but as someone said, "stupid should hurt." Just to bad it had to hurt there. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
J.D. Langendorph said:
Sounds like the typical Glock owner. :shocked:
Please provide references - I'd love to see the statistical profile of a typical Glock owner. For that matter, I'd love to see where I fit relative to the statistical profile of a typical S&W-revolver owner.

(Thanks for the link, by the way - the initial report I had read and shared with my mailing list was lacking in these crucial details.)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,173 Posts
J.D. Langendorph said:
Sounds like the typical Glock owner. :shocked:
I'd say it sounds more like the typical ND. When you hear of one of these kinds of stories (and I hear of several of them each year), if you lay money on the involved gun being a Glock, you'll win WAY more money than you'll lose. In fact, I would have to do some serious thinking to remember when was the last time I heard of an ND story in the last 20 or so years that didn't have a Glock in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Snake45 said:
I'd say it sounds more like the typical ND. When you hear of one of these kinds of stories (and I hear of several of them each year), if you lay money on the involved gun being a Glock, you'll win WAY more money than you'll lose. In fact, I would have to do some serious thinking to remember when was the last time I heard of an ND story in the last 20 or so years that didn't have a Glock in it.
Not to argue that a Glock pistol is not one of the worst choices for a bozo, while I too always assume Glock until proven otherwise, in incidents of this sort, I have been following and sharing firearm-related news on the internet for over a decade and have seen my share of ND's reported with other firearms.

A frightening proportion of the Glock incidents have involved LE personnel, probably because those pistols are so widely issued. I'm sure the retired cops on the board can recall a fair share of ND's with double-action revolvers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,940 Posts
Snake45 said:
When you hear of one of these kinds of stories (and I hear of several of them each year), if you lay money on the involved gun being a Glock, you'll win WAY more money than you'll lose.
Hater.

Everyone knows that Glock's have "safe action" triggers... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
At least the Springfield XD has a grip safety, TommyGunn. And I seem to recall a thumb safety option on the .45, which I would want badly.

The main reason I've never been able to get on the Glock wagon is exactly that "Safe-Action". Too many years of 1911 living in me. People freak when they see a cocked-and-locked .45, because they don't understand the mechanics of the weapon. A Condition One 1911 is both rock-solid safe, and yet instantly accessable. I suspect that Browning feller Knew What He Was Doing.

There is an aftermarket thumb safety available for Glocks, for a hundred bucks and change. Also a heavier trigger assembly, also a little plastic dealie that fits behind the trigger, "Safe-T-Blok" or some such.

A Glock, to me, is a Holster Gun. No exceptions.

It will go off if you pull the trigger. This is too complicated for some people.

John Browning and Charles Darwin seem to be in agreement here.

I'm not slamming Glocks. They are what they are. The fault lies in the operator.

But at least this one won't breed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,499 Posts
igli said:
At least the Springfield XD has a grip safety, TommyGunn. And I seem to recall a thumb safety option on the .45, which I would want badly.....
I can still conceive of the XD being negligently fired by someone grabbing a shifting gun by the grip, squeezing that grip safety while something catches the trigger ..... maybe unlikely, but Murphy has a way.

I agree with you with regards to Glocks; they need holsters. Although I do own a G19 .... I am neither really a Glock fan or a Glock hater. It's a gun. Glocks are ugly ducklings of the gun world.
But they have one virtue: they work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,499 Posts
spwenger said:
The beauty of the Glock, in the eye of this beholder, is it's mechanical simplicity.
:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TommyGunn said:
Yeah. I think it had less to do with the gun and more to do with method of carry. I can see the same thing happening with a Springfield XD, a Smith & Wesson M&P, and many other types of guns as well.
I feel bad for the guy but as someone said, "stupid should hurt." Just to bad it had to hurt there. :(
XD won't discharge unless the grip safety is depressed AND the trigger pulled. I'd never carry a gun loose in my sweats. Hell . . . keys in the sweats pulls them down around my knees!

Caveat here: I like to poke and prod because "Jeez! I couldn't agree more!" doesn't seem to generate much repartee in forums. :ek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
spwenger said:
J.D. Langendorph said:
Sounds like the typical Glock owner. :shocked:
Please provide references - I'd love to see the statistical profile of a typical Glock owner. For that matter, I'd love to see where I fit relative to the statistical profile of a typical S&W-revolver owner.

(Thanks for the link, by the way - the initial report I had read and shared with my mailing list was lacking in these crucial details.)
Statistical profile: 100% of Glock owners inarguably own Glocks. :mrgreen: Etc. etc. etc. I've never shot myself in the nutz with my Smiith & Wesson.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,499 Posts
J.D. Langendorph said:
XD won't discharge unless the grip safety is depressed AND the trigger pulled. I'd never carry a gun loose in my sweats. Hell . . . keys in the sweats pulls them down around my knees!

Caveat here: I like to poke and prod because "Jeez! I couldn't agree more!" doesn't seem to generate much repartee in forums. :ek:
True that. :thumbsup: I have an XD45 which I like. My point was -- in essence -- don't trust any safety. The only "safety" a gun has is between the user's ears; his brain. The XD is a safe gun; while some people don't like that grip safety gizmo, it hardly bothers me. But it won't prevent STUPID. I also own a Glock 19 and the same thing applies. The G19 has other safety devices in it .... but none of them prevent STUPID.

Keep poking and prodding -- avoiding the landmines -- :shocked: :mrgreen: (just kidding) and you'll scare up something interesting!! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
stupid should hurt
A Glock, to me, is a Holster Gun. No exceptions. It will go off if you pull the trigger. This is too complicated for some people.
John Browning and Charles Darwin seem to be in agreement here.
Glocks are ugly ducklings of the gun world. But they have one virtue: they work.
The only "safety" a gun has is between the user's ears; his brain.
The G19 has other safety devices in it .... but none of them prevent STUPID.
WOW! I don't think I've ever seen another thread with so many good quotes. Thanks

I don't really have much to add to this. I carried a Glock for a couple of years until my PD authorized us to carry 1911s. I've carted around the same 1911 (Springfield Champion 1911A1) for over 15 years. I also have used a Colt revolver, Ruger revolver, Sig P226, S&W 59, Walther PPK/S, Taurus revolver, and a G21. The only one of those that I didn't like was the S&W (it had problems) and I only carried it for a few months until the problems manifested as unsolvable. I sold it to someone who thought they could fix it. I wouldn't hesitate for a second trusting my life or the lives of my loved ones with any of the others listed. In fact my kids have inherited or permanently borrowed, (can't say stole since they told me about it after they "appropriated" the guns) most of those listed above. The standing agreement is that if they can outshoot me with any particular gun (except my duty gun), they get to keep it :thumbsup: I lost my M1 Carbine to my daughter that way :shocked: They just keep getting better and as I age, I just keep getting worse. Getting old sucks!! Moral of this story: Never leave your safe unlocked around those you love

Although I will add that I NEVER carry without a holster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts
If memory serves, JMB was kind of like Gaston; he gave shooters credit for basic sense (don't fool with the trigger until you intend to make "BANG!" His early designs of what became the M1911 only had the grip safety; the Army wanted the thumb safety included.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,173 Posts
shep854 said:
If memory serves, JMB was kind of like Gaston; he gave shooters credit for basic sense (don't fool with the trigger until you intend to make "BANG!" His early designs of what became the M1911 only had the grip safety; the Army wanted the thumb safety included.
I could swear I've read it was the other way around. :?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,758 Posts
Snake45 said:
shep854 said:
If memory serves, JMB was kind of like Gaston; he gave shooters credit for basic sense (don't fool with the trigger until you intend to make "BANG!" His early designs of what became the M1911 only had the grip safety; the Army wanted the thumb safety included.
I could swear I've read it was the other way around. :?
The model 1905 had no safeties whatsoever. In 1907 the Army contracted with Colt for about 200 Model 1905s with some modifications. They had to have a grip safety (designed by Ehbets and Tansley) and a loaded chamber indicator (designed by Peard) From what I gather Colt's decided to add the thumb safety and that patent went to JMB. The first thumb safety was implemented on a model 1909.

Daniel?
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top