Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you here carry one gun or more than one when you CCW? What is your reasoning behind your choice?

I personally carry only one gun about 80% of the time (with a spare mag) and two guns only when feel like it, or I see one of my pocket pistols call my name in the safe. I've always got a folding knife too.

I figure one plus a knife is plenty in my sleepy hometown and it would be pretty rare to need a 2nd gun as a civilian.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
For over a decade I carried two five-shot revolvers, one behind each hip. A few years back I began wearing a light vest, which allowed me to empty out my left, front pants pocket and carry a third one there.

  • Most important, I want at least one gun accessible to each hand. The one time I have had to draw on a hostile person, one hand was occupied ensuring that he could not get his knife into play.[/*:m:3sk813xi]
  • Guns, gun hands and gun-side arms and shoulders tend to get hit in gunfights. This is both a concern for access and replacement. Further, a second gun is the fastest reload.[/*:m:3sk813xi]
  • Should I find myself in a situation, with an unarmed companion who knows how to shoot, ten rounds split between two shooters, at different angles is much more valuable tactically than even fifteen rounds in only one set of hands.[/*:m:3sk813xi]
  • The gun in the pocket allows me to acquire a full firing grip without anyone even knowing I have done so. It rides in the left pocket, even though I am right-handed, because I can transact a heck of a lot of business, including shaking hands, with my left hand in my pocket.[/*:m:3sk813xi]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,543 Posts
I assume you have a spare tire in your car. Exactly what options do you have for a broken firing pin/extractor without a spare?

I dearly wish I'd copied the elegant quote to the effect that when life chooses to test you, you aren't consulted beforehand about your state of readiness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
I normally carry only one pistol. Where I live, there is very little crime. It's the result of geography.
When we go to the mainland, however, my wife also carries a pistol. She's my backup.
(I have the "spare tire." She's slim. :lol: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
Our last murder up here was more than 12 years ago. (In truth, I think it was longer ago than 20 years, but I'm not sure.)
Our crime docket shows drunk driving almost exclusively, and (I'm sorry to say) a firearm is not a legally-sanctioned cure for that.
Therefore, I believe that a six-shot pocket .45 and one five-shot reload is quite enough.
But, just in case, there's a loaded 12ga. in the nearby bedroom closet.

Our most recent crime wave, Colton Harris-Moore, "the barefoot bandit," did involve a 9mm pistol and a .223 rifle stolen from a Sheriff's Deputy's car, but he was on his way elsewhere when he took them. He was waving the pistol around when he annoyed the Bahamian police enough to begin a boat chase, and they used that gun as their excuse to perforate the motors of the boat Colton had stolen. But Colton never fired a shot, neither here nor anywhere else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Steve M1911A1 said:
Our last murder up here was more than 12 years ago.
Good job of ignoring the point that it doesn't matter if you become the victim of a statistically anomalous crime - you're still the victim. :?

Frankly, I did not expect to convince you but actually posted the Farnam shtick for anyone else who may have been a bit more receptive to the concept.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
spwenger said:
Steve M1911A1 said:
Our last murder up here was more than 12 years ago.
Good job of ignoring the point that it doesn't matter if you become the victim of a statistically anomalous crime - you're still the victim...
...And you seem to be ignoring my point that, in this rural and peaceful setting, merely being armed with a proven-reliable weapon is quite sufficient for the purpose intended.
Yes, I would be murdered only once. However, I am pretty sure that I could prevent that in almost all cases.
By the same token, no matter how many backup guns you carry, a deadly surprise attack from behind can still do the job on you as well, not to mention a rifle shot from too far away to be guarded against.

There are situations in which one or more backup guns may be called-for, but, given a well-maintained and reliable everyday weapon, where I live isn't one of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Steve M1911A1 said:
...And you seem to be ignoring my point that, in this rural and peaceful setting, merely being armed with a proven-reliable weapon is quite sufficient for the purpose intended.
Have it your way, Steve - you usually do. As I said, the comment was not intended for you but for others whose minds may not be as firmly made up.

I fail to see why a firearm (or its ammunition) would be any more or less reliable because of the prevailing crime rate where it is carried. :ehsmile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
Notice to All:
I have changed my evil and errant ways, and now carry both my pistol and my wife, wherever I go. My wife carries the backup pistol.

P.S.: I'm having trouble concealing my wife. Any useful suggestions would be appreciated. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Steve M1911A1 said:
Notice to All:
I have changed my evil and errant ways, and now carry both my pistol and my wife, wherever I go. My wife carries the backup pistol.

P.S.: I'm having trouble concealing my wife. Any useful suggestions would be appreciated. :lol:
A wise move - two guns in two sets of hands are much more valuable tactically, so long as each of you can draw the one gun you are carrying. As for concealment, have you ever heard of a burqa?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
Thank you, Mr. Wenger.
Nicely said.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts
" * The gun in the pocket allows me to acquire a full firing grip without anyone even knowing I have done so. It rides in the left pocket, even though I am right-handed, because I can transact a heck of a lot of business, including shaking hands, with my left hand in my pocket."--spwenger

Thanks to that nugget, I'm going to try carrying my CCW in my left front pocket. Even though I'm a lefty, I mainly shoot right-handed. Carrying my CCW in the right trouser pocket was to keep my left hand free for normal business, but the change sounds worthwhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
shep854 said:
Thanks to that nugget, I'm going to try carrying my CCW in my left front pocket. Even though I'm a lefty, I mainly shoot right-handed. Carrying my CCW in the right trouser pocket was to keep my left hand free for normal business, but the change sounds worthwhile.
This is one of many nuggets I have been blessed to have picked up from the experience of others, which led me, one day, to wonder why I had been so blessed. This is much of what has given me the sense of mission to share what may help keep keep other good guys and gals in the winning column.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts
spwenger said:
shep854 said:
Thanks to that nugget, I'm going to try carrying my CCW in my left front pocket. Even though I'm a lefty, I mainly shoot right-handed. Carrying my CCW in the right trouser pocket was to keep my left hand free for normal business, but the change sounds worthwhile.
This is one of many nuggets I have been blessed to have picked up from the experience of others, which led me, one day, to wonder why I had been so blessed. This is much of what has given me the sense of mission to share what may help keep keep other good guys and gals in the winning column.
Recognizing the correct ratio of ears to mouth helped a great deal, I'm sure. Too many times I've gotten them backwards, to my ongoing regret.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
to all,

i currently have my P-6 (w/2 mags) on my belt all the time & a loaded Model 10 S&W locked in my PU gun-box for a spare. - i see no real need, around here, to carry a second handgun concealed, all the time.

should things get "UGLY" out on the road, i have my "sawed-off" double 12guage "out of sight", in a rack on the front of the seat.

yours, sw
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top