Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked mine up today, and put some rounds through her...I'm one happy camper.

Wise Lite really nailed this one, the quality, fit, and finish is just outstanding on this slick little 9mm carbine. Guys, at $400.00, they're simply not charging what these things are worth. But since most shooters don't know much about SMG's anymore because they're pretty much obsolescent, most shooters don't know that the Sterling Mk4 / Brit L2A3 is (in my not-very-humble-at-least-on-this-topic) the finest SMG ever built**, and the Century / Wise Lite is an excellent reproduction of the Sterling Mk6 carbine (Mk6 being the 16" semi-auto built by Sterling).

I have found two VERY minor "flaws" and that's it.

1- While the krinkle finish on the Wise Lite looks VERY good, the original Sterling krinkle finish had a very subtle "gloss" to it and the krinkles were a touch more corse. Regardless, the Wise Lite looks VERY good.

2- The Wise Lite shoots very low. Now I'm betting even Wise Lite didn't realize this would happen, but see; I have an advantage because I've had to load for fine English double rifles, where you learn the effects of recoil on any cartridge/gun combination regardless of size. Wise Lite uses a much heavier than standard barrel under the barrel shroud, and then you have the additional length to make it 16" for compliance. Between the thickness and the added length, you have considerably more weight.

This added weight keeps the muzzle down during recoil. Now the kind of recoil I'm talking about is not felt recoil, but actual recoil. The recoil I'm talking about takes place before the bullet exits the barrel and before the shooter feels any perceived recoil. So since the added weight keeps the muzzle down, the gun shoots very low. No problem at all, just adjust the front post as low as you can get it, and file it the rest of the way down. Much easier than if it shoots high.

When I got her home I had an opportunity to put about 150 rounds through her. FMJ, JHP (and even Federal EFMJ's), with weight's between 115 to 147 all functioned flawlessly out of either the supplied 34 round Sterling magazine (undoubtedly the finest SMG magazine design ever built) or 32 round Sten magazine (undoubtedly NOT the finest SMG magazine design ever built).

As an added bonus, my 7 year old boy is a HUGE Star Wars fan and with one glance he knew he was looking at the Stormtrooper "blaster"; he took to it like a Labrador Retriever to water. I setup a 2 liter bottle about 20 yards away and out of 20 rounds in the mag, he only missed twice; the boy is in love and I most assuredly made the next generation of Sterling fans.

This is going to be one very fun little carbine to have around. I'm VERY happy with my purchase. I'd post photos, but there's nothing special about mine, it looks just like all the rest of them, so here's photos from someone who has better photography skills than I have.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/EOS/images/p ... rling1.jpg

** Sorry Tommy, no offence intended

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Kevin Gibson said:
.... But since most shooters don't know much about SMG's anymore because they're pretty much obsolescent, most shooters don't know that the Sterling Mk4 / Brit L2A3 is (in my not-very-humble-at-least-on-this-topic) the finest SMG ever built**, ......

** Sorry Tommy, no offence intended
:ek:

Fortunatly, two things are in your favor:
1.) I am a man of peace. :mrgreen:
2.) Sgt. Saunders died in a helicopter accident a generation ago! :shocked: :lol:

Seriously, I'm glad your happy with the new gun. I never really believed the Thompson was the "best" SMG in the world. At the time it was developed, WW1, it probably was if only because it was, if not the first, atleast among the first of it's kind. It certainly is an iconic American gun, atleast.
And a number of authors of firearms books (presumably more expert and knowledgeable than myself) have praised the Sterling. I never cared for the horizontal magazine, but the Sten "suffered" from the same feature; apparantly it helps aid feeding as gravity is "negated" to a degree. Makes for an "awkward" looking gun IMHO but it works.
My .... "attachment" to the "TommyGun" is solely with it's iconic nature .... and of course, my continued affection for a five decades old TV series about K Company, 361ID, ETO.

Enjoy your new gun in good health. And Kevin ...... "take the point!" :mrgreen:

:D

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tommy,

Just funnin at your expense; nothing wrong with being a Thompson fan, they're great sub guns, a hoot to shoot, and you're right, they are as iconic as a SMG ever gets.

The horizontal magazine of the Sten and Sterling has nothing to do with feeding, it's to make it easier to go prone during battle. When the bullets fly, you simply can't get "down" enough, and the mag out the side was their way of helping a soldier get cozier with Mother Earth.

Admittedly, it does take a little getting used to because the handling characteristics are different; but not as different as one would think. And it does make magazine changes quicker and easier...it's right there for goodness sake:)

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Kevin Gibson said:
....The horizontal magazine of the Sten and Sterling has nothing to do with feeding, it's to make it easier to go prone during battle. When the bullets fly, you simply can't get "down" enough, and the mag out the side was their way of helping a soldier get cozier with Mother Earth.

Admittedly, it does take a little getting used to because the handling characteristics are different; but not as different as one would think. And it does make magazine changes quicker and easier...it's right there for goodness sake:)
Hadn't thought of that aspect but you're right. I have read that Sterlings and Stens had horizontal mags because of their being more reliable feeding because of that, but it could be a "serendipitous" type of thing ... that is they were designed for easier prone use.... but it turned out that it helped feeding ... or I suppose it could be another one of those "myths" about guns.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
well, not really- i carried one for years in the cf, and that horizontal magazine was STRICTLY a "going prone" thing- in basic,we were shown that if you hung onto the magazine, ( like they do in the movies) instead of the barrel jacket, it WAS possible to put enough pressure on the mag to make it twist in the magazine housing and jam the rear of the mag into the path of the bolt- you were fine if you gripped the mag near thehousing, but this happened if you gripped it near the end and exerted rearward pressure

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
So when are they coming out with a lefty version? :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m very impressed with the total quality of the build on these little carbines, hat’s off to Wise Lite. But there’s a catch that concerns me; Wise Lite is showing some signs that are disconcerting. When I tried to go to their website it says their domain name has expired; I really fear these guys may have gone under, which is a crime. There was some talk that perhaps they would make a semi-auto Sten Mk III which would have been cool. Glad I got one while I can, but I fear if I have any parts breakage, I’m on my own. I’ve heard of a few broken firing pins. Fortunately, looking at the design of the FP it doesn’t look like it will be all that hard to fabricate, so I’m not too worried.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Kevin Gibson said:
I'm very impressed with the total quality of the build on these little carbines, hat's off to Wise Lite. But there's a catch that concerns me; Wise Lite is showing some signs that are disconcerting. When I tried to go to their website it says their domain name has expired; I really fear these guys may have gone under, which is a crime. There was some talk that perhaps they would make a semi-auto Sten Mk III which would have been cool. Glad I got one while I can, but I fear if I have any parts breakage, I'm on my own. I've heard of a few broken firing pins. Fortunately, looking at the design of the FP it doesn't look like it will be all that hard to fabricate, so I'm not too worried.
SHOTGUN NEWS ran an article a few months back about making a semi Sten gun. I have to admit that while I think SMGs are "cool" (one in particular :mrgreen: ) I don't really see a huge need for one -- especially not a semi auto. For pistol caliber longarms, I prefer lever-action such as my Uberti made Win. 1873 in .44-40, my Browning B-92 in .44Mag.
If it came to SHTF I would really even prefer my M-1 Carbine over a SMG. But then, I think I'd even prefer my M4orgery .... :D well ... I'm going off topic... so I'm done. :wink:

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I think that’s the reason why SMG’s are mostly obsolete; there are just better choices. But my choice of the Sterling carbine has nothing to do with defense, and everything to do with enjoying a shooting piece of history. Yeah, in a pinch, I’m sure it could serve as a defensive piece, but you know how funny I am about such things; I tend to not trust anything that isn’t 100% GI, and there are newly fabricated parts on the Sterling that are completely untested. I feel the same way about 99% of the AR’s out there. Yeah, in a pinch, they’ll probably work just fine, but for the most part, it’s a civilian rifle that is untested on a battlefield. Whereas my M1 Carbine is 100% the real deal and probably was on a battlefield at one time. Go to any conflict in the world and you’ll find the little M1, and chances are it still has 100% of the parts it had when it left the factory; that’s a rifle I trust.

I’m really banking on never actually NEEDING any of my firearms in a defensive role. If I felt otherwise, I’d have a few more carbines or SKS’s (two rifles you can have in 100% military configuration…the exact same rifle soldiers carried on the battlefield), and a few thousand rounds for each.

My SHTF scenario is more geared around economic collapse or the not so amicable breakup of the US, where I can see rampant crime as the result. In such cases, I think concealable pistols will be 99% the tool of choice.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Hmmm.
I think I have a tad more faith in the AR series -- atleast the higher end ones, and even the midrange ones if the gas keys have been peened right and the other major deficiencies have been addressed. I believe in the "run 'em wet" philosophy myself.
The lower end stuff? Nuh - uh.
And I agree the M-1 Carbine is very good. Mine has been 100%. The ONLY problem I ever had was a dud. That one was made in 1943. I have modern ammo now.
And I think you're right about concealed handguns and SHTF. BUT if you're at home, that's were you do want the longarms.
I agree about economic collapse being the most likely major SHTF situation .... methinks 2011 is a likely time, as well. Be prepared & stay safe.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the little boy is just nuts about the "blaster" and continues to demand to shoot it every day. With 34 round magazines, this is going to get expensive. I may need to pick up a Lee 6 cavity bullet mold, my preferred medicine for large quantity bullet needs. Or since we're in the age of Obama, I wonder if my senator can setup a government 9mm ammo subsidy for under privileged minors who are Star Wars fans?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Kevin Gibson said:
Well I think that's the reason why SMG's are mostly obsolete; there are just better choices.
Most of the older SMG are as heavy as a rifle, have ammunition that weighs nearly the same as a rifle, but do not have the accuracy or range of the rifle. Regarding cartridge weight, note how close 9x19mm is to 5.56x45mm, .40 and 10mm to 7.62x39mm, and .45 ACP to 7.62x51mm. While the rifle cartridge cases are larger, the heavier projectiles of the handgun cartridges offset the difference.

Kevin: Don't show your son a Mauser Broomhandle or Lewis Gun. :wink:

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Daniel Watters said:
Kevin: Don't show your son a Mauser Broomhandle or Lewis Gun. :wink:
Yeah, no doubt. There were a few MG 34's in the movie and I was thinking about one of those 10/22 MG 42 conversions...add some cheezy red-dot optic and he could have a Star Wars-esque rifle to shoot that I could afford to feed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts