Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of writing software do you guys use for your gun articles?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I use an old version of Word Perfect because I know it so well, but I have to import it into MS Word for the magazines

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Yeah... so what :x

I even have a keyboard with an extra set of F keys on the left, complete with WP labels

and it is ever so much faster than having to move my hand to the mouse to do the same thing...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
Yeah... so what :x

I even have a keyboard with an extra set of F keys on the left, complete with WP labels

and it is ever so much faster than having to move my hand to the mouse to do the same thing...
Dang, I thought you were still using yellow pads and #2 pencils...............................

duck and cover,

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
Back when I made the switch to MS Word, my roomate said the same thing. He was working as a paralegal and the legal industry was in deep with WP5.1 because you could buy every template in the world. So we argued about which one was better and which one was faster. I was admittedly somewhat of a novice with WP5.1 and he could just smoke with WP5.1. So when I told him that MS Word was faster, he just laughed at me.

It just so happened that we were both needing to create resume's shortly afterward, so we had a "race" to see who could format their resume's faster. We agreed that we would both wait until all text was entered and we agreed to format our resume's the same. I was quite the novice with MS Word at the time, and I finished well ahead of him.

Still, for a DOS program, WP5.1 is one hell of a word processor. It's been decades, but I'll bet that in no time, I could switch back to WP5.1 and make it work just fine.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Enjoy your old school word processor. It really is a classic program.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I know I could switch and do use Word for the stuff in CP's corner so I can just paste it in, but when I am really trying to write WP is better for me.

I went through a major panic because veryone said that on January 1, 2000 WP would cease to work. Of course that, like most of the other Y2K stuff, was BS.

I suspect most of the young punks use Apples but us old school guys like the simple life. Of course Carmichael wrote longhand or dictated to his full time secretary and Taffin uses voice recognition which is either way ahead or even further behind... :?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Just ordered Word-Perfect X-5 Home and Student.

·
Registered
814 Posts
When I started writing I was still using my much-beloved Amiga 2000. I had to save in asci format, but Editors didn't care.

When I had to retire that machine, I went to Microsoft Word, in whatever version was available for whatever generation of operating system each machine has.

For someone who is picky about guns, I'm utterly disinterested in the options, features and alleged power of various word-wrangling programs. I don't care about templates, formatting, etc. I want words on electronic paper, and spell-checking buttons that aren't too "busy."

The Art Department at the magazines or book publisher is going to re-do it all over anyway, in the font, leading, margins, etc. of their choice, so I waste no time on my end other than eye-comfort.

Sorry to be of so little help.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
The Art Department at the magazines or book publisher is going to re-do it all over anyway, in the font, leading, margins, etc. of their choice, so I waste no time on my end other than eye-comfort.
Quite so...

I got fussed at for trying to format something long ago.

That is also why 5.1 works so well for me

·
Registered
921 Posts
Patrick Sweeney said:
. . . I'm utterly disinterested in the options, features and alleged power of various word-wrangling programs. I don't care about templates, formatting, etc. I want words on electronic paper, and spell-checking buttons that aren't too "busy." . . .
The first version of Word I tried probably had 100 functions, of which I used probably 20.

The latest versions of Word are larger, take longer to load, and must have 1000 functions . . . of which I use probably 20.

"Learning" the new program consists of finding where they hid the stuff I actually want to use.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I'm still using Wordperfect, never saw a need to change.

As an aside, the only thing I ever really took in high school that I was certain I'd never use was typing - 3 years of it.

And I only took the classes because there were lots of girls there.

Go figure... :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I started with an electric typewriter, cut and paste was just exactly that and a duplicating machine at the post office. Then to ascii, now Microsoft word, I like it!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Shall I put in a plug for OpenOffice.org? It's a full featured Office suite and is available for download Free.

I've been keeping my personal accounts on it and doing various writing jobs for years.

Geoff
Who confesses he is about to buy an "institutional" copy of MS Office 2010 to be like work. Sigh. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Shall I put in a plug for OpenOffice.org?
Yes! This is a great program. I have it on a thumb drive with Firefox and Thunderbird on it. If you use MozBackup you can transfer all your Firefox and Thunderbird info to the thumb drive. Good for traveling. Just plug the thumb drive into any internet enabled P-C and it's just like home. Good for when lugging the laptop around is a burden.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
WaltGraham said:
And I only took the classes because there were lots of girls there.

Go figure... :D
See? Girls are good! :thumbsup: :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts