Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really blame the gun people for this. Unless a business has specifically asked for people carrying long arms; I think just dropping in is a very bad idea. This puts the business in a very uncomfortable position. I've always said that it's a dumb idea for businesses to be in politics, because you're guaranteed to piss off at least 50% of your clientele the second you take ANY position.

So the gun owners forced this on Chipotle, and they responded. And if I owned a restaurant, I would welcome CCW, but I'd ask the guy with rifles slung to please choose a different restaurant.

This is a bad way to assert their rights. In front of a government building, police station, somewhere very public; that's' where they ought to be. Not dropping in on a place just trying to conduct business and not looking for trouble.

Chipotle asks customers not to bring guns to its stores

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Sometimes, we're our own worst enemies... *stares pointedly at the more belligerent In-Your-Face-Open-Carry-EVERYWHERE crowd*

They can ask, and I can understand why they're making that request, but Old Slabsides goes everywhere except prohibited places with me--and nobody ever even knows I'm packing, the thirty-pound laptop case makes a very nice diversion in that regard. :)

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to live in a nation where it's okay to have a rifle in public, but where it's still an oddity and stands out...maybe even makes some people uncomfortable. If we live in a nation where it's common place, then we live in Israel. And I don't want to live in Israel because people there carry rifles for a VERY serious reason, and I hope we never get there.

I LOVE living in a nation where I can carry a concealed weapon. And I love when people exercise that right. Society still looks and feels normal, and if it becomes aberrant; hopefully someone can quickly correct that.

Concealed carry is a unique liberty and very few nations have that; I think that's absolutley AWESOME. Sure I'd love to live in a society where no weapons are needed, but that will never exist this side of heaven unfortunately.

Finally, it's my prayer for myself and every other armed person in the world that they never need their guns for defense.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
No metal detector, no foul.

But I've not felt the need to add an AR to my around town loadout here lately.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I agree. I noticed they expressed no difficulty with concealed carry of firearms.

The "discrete" part ultimately is the great benefit of CCW, in many ways.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I want to live in a nation where it's okay to have a rifle in public, but where it's still an oddity and stands out...maybe even makes some people uncomfortable. If we live in a nation where it's common place, then we live in Israel. And I don't want to live in Israel because people there carry rifles for a VERY serious reason, and I hope we never get there.

I LOVE living in a nation where I can carry a concealed weapon. And I love when people exercise that right. Society still looks and feels normal, and if it becomes aberrant; hopefully someone can quickly correct that.

Concealed carry is a unique liberty and very few nations have that; I think that's absolutley AWESOME. Sure I'd love to live in a society where no weapons are needed, but that will never exist this side of heaven unfortunately.

Finally, it's my prayer for myself and every other armed person in the world that they never need their guns for defense.
Amen!!!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Right with you, Kevin. When they authorized (officially) open carry in Alabama last year, I was sure we would see instances of somebody pushing the envelope and toting an AR down 6th Avenue...sorta the main drag in Decatur. Hasn't happened yet. Hope it doesn't. Like you, I think it makes gun owners look bad.

To tell the truth, I haven't seen anyone open carrying since it was codified. A couple of our patrol deputies have, but that's it. Not anywhere near the number of people open-carrying that we thought we would see. Guess I'll wait for mid summer down here and see if that causes any change in the participation rate.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in Nevada now, and I have seen a grand total of ONE guy open carrying; I'll never forget him. He was the goofiest looking guy. About 6'4" skinny as a train rail. Shorts with knobby knees and skinned up shins. Long hair, a boonie hat and an Ozzy T-Shirt...with a Big Gulp raspberry Slurpee in his hand, and his Ipod blasting in his ears. On his hip was a 1911 in a Bianchi holster. Just the funniest sight. Passed him going into 7-11 as he was coming out...Had to fight back the urge to LOL...didn't want to be rude (see, an armed society IS a polite society).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm in Nevada now, and I have seen a grand total of ONE guy open carrying; I'll never forget him. He was the goofiest looking guy. About 6'4" skinny as a train rail. Shorts with knobby knees and skinned up shins. Long hair, a boonie hat and an Ozzy T-Shirt...with a Big Gulp raspberry Slurpee in his hand, and his Ipod blasting in his ears. On his hip was a 1911 in a Bianchi holster. Just the funniest sight. Passed him going into 7-11 as he was coming out...Had to fight back the urge to LOL...didn't want to be rude (see, an armed society IS a polite society).
Wow...that must have been a sight. That made me crack up just picturing it. ;)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Right with you, Kevin. When they authorized (officially) open carry in Alabama last year, I was sure we would see instances of somebody pushing the envelope and toting an AR down 6th Avenue...sorta the main drag in Decatur. Hasn't happened yet. Hope it doesn't. Like you, I think it makes gun owners look bad.

To tell the truth, I haven't seen anyone open carrying since it was codified. A couple of our patrol deputies have, but that's it. Not anywhere near the number of people open-carrying that we thought we would see. Guess I'll wait for mid summer down here and see if that causes any change in the participation rate.
I've seen a few 'No Guns Allowed' signs pop up (and one, at an establishment next to a range that said 'No OPEN Carry Allowed') Signs have even popped up at state rest areas on the interstates.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The "Open Carry" crowd is populated by many who have bigger guns than brains, and a group of people
walking into any public place with AR-15's [and such] slung on their shoulders is [IMHO] more compelled
by seeking attention to themselves [rather] than actually furthering our gun rights, and [I feel] have
"emotional imbalances" which need attention.

These fools do to we "proponents of guns and gun rights" what The Westboro Baptist Church does to
Christianity and "Religion"; what imbeciles they truly are.

These "Open Carry" [over] zealots deserve nothing but our dismissal and scorn - away with them.

I don't blame "Chipotles" for reacting as they did because these [particular] idiots with guns are ridiculous;
I mean why didn't they just walk in with sticks of dynamite strapped on ?

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
To ALL,

I'm of at least "two minds" on "open carry":

1. It depends on TIME & PLACE. = In the "wide place in the road", up in northeast TX, where I was born/grew up (On a "busy day" we have maybe 1200 people in the city limits.), NOBODY would take a second look at a person with a rifle/shotgun/handgun, as 99% would presume that,
A. He/She was on the way to hunt/the range/gun store/gunsmith/feed-store/farmer's co-op/the farm
and
B. He/She didn't want to leave his firearm in his/her PU, where it might be stolen.
(Even in my little hometown, you seldom see a "gun-rack" in the back window ANYMORE, as that's "an invitation to have your PU broken into".)
but
C. I now live in San Antonio & here I would presume that an "open carrier" in Downtown SA was either "up to something" and/or "trying to make a point" AND I would expect that such a person would RIGHTLY be stopped/questioned by DPS/SAPD/BCSO/Constables and/or the person(s) who "have lawful control" of those premises.

2. The person who owns/manages/"has custody" of private/business premises has the ABSOLUTE RIGHT to ALLOW or PROHIBIT the carrying of weapons on those premises. - The Texas Code of Criminal Procedure and The Penal Code makes those RIGHTS quite clear, to those who can read.
(Do NOT come onto our family farm/homes/business carrying a firearm, without our consent, as our land is POSTED every 100 yards down our fences. - Texas property owners/custodians routinely detain & report "trespassers", with or without weapons to LE agencies.)

Note: Since THE DAINGERFIELD CHURCH MASSACRE, I go NO PLACE (that does not have armed guards or LEO) without my little Sig-Sauer P6 under my polo shirt/vest/jacket, as I cannot afford to "lose" any more relatives/friends to lawless "crazies", bigots, criminals and hate-FILLED fanatics. - Period. End of story.

Just my OPINIONS, sw

·
Registered
76 Posts
Forty years ago in a San Antonio hotel lobby, you could have seen me carrying two bolt action rifles with no cases - I'd been to a gun store and was waiting for my ride. I didn't think anything of it, and neither did most other folk there. I know no police showed up, the management did not ask me to leave, people didn't run out of the lobby, and I got no more than a couple of glances. That was then and this is now. I was not trying to get people to look at me or make a political point.

I don't think many people then were afraid of firearms, but I think they are afraid today of some of the wackos who are carrying them. Some of the open carry folk here are wackos and I think people are right to be wary of them.

Personally, I won't open carry if the laws here in Texas change.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I was a kid I would ride my bike with a .22 rifle or a shotgun on my way out to the cotton tail fields. Only time a cop ever stopped was to see how we'd done. Try that today and a kid could get killed.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The only time I ever open carried a rifle was after Katrina for about 12 days.I had on one side Naval Police/MP living nextdoor,BFD on the other side/father BPD,across the street Home land secruity and what info I was getting from friends in the BPD.While we were not NO on news coverage thier was plenty of looting going on and BPD never said a word about it it was me,the dog and the M1 carbine.Ms is an open carry state and see very little of it and only sidearms holster thusfar.I still do not feel the need to open carry SA or rifle unless another big storm comes then for the aftermath.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts