Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father used to raise chickens on his farm up until a few years ago, when the lack of consistent, able assistance on his farm, mongooses (or is that mongeese?), hawks and other factors forced him into a decision to give up. Now he keeps guinea fowl, which according to him are easier to keep. I forget all the reasons.

Anyway, the last time I was there in late August of '98, we ate chicken one night, from the store I believe, because he's not quite as adept at taking a chicken out back and making a meal out of it the way his mother, The Ultimate Farm Girl, used to, plus it's a lot of time and work. When you live on a farm, you also have to find creative ways of getting rid of, shall we say, certain 'garbage' items.

Anyway, when we had finished dinner, he asked me for the scraps from my plate, including the bones and then he . . .

FED IT TO HIS CHICKENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW WE KNOW YOU'RE HAVING ANOTHER BLONDE MOMENT BLOOF!!! roared the 65,781 arroz con pollo eating fans in Boricua Bowl. CHICKENS EATING CHICKEN, THIS GUY'S GONE OFF THE DEEP END, KICK HIM OFF THE WEB SITE!!!

Now, wait just a finger lickin' minute here. Before you all go e-mailing Bigg Bosss Mann to get me yanked a la Howard Stern, . . .

yes, my father's chickens WERE eating our table scraps, chicken. And it was really three huge hens who were most interested. Biggest chickens I'd ever seen. All natural and organic backwoods Puerto Rican chickens, too. Not those hormone bloated things. Talk about Oven Stuffer Roasters!!! And yes, they were eating their brethren, or is that sethren??? Anyway, not too many people I spoke to afterwards have heard of that, but I saw it with my own eyes.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

My father did say something about not doing it too often, or with raw chicken, because they have a tendency to become too fierce when they taste too much flesh, especially raw.

Cluckity, cluckity, cluckity, . . . that's all folks.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Bloof, that dosen't surpise me.

I grew up in a small Southern town, just barely big enough to qualify as a "city" (population was about 5200 people.) Although my Dad wasn't a farmer, I spent plenty of time on farms, and knew enough farmers to learn a few things. My sister's ex was a farmer's son, and he once told me that if you ever wanted to dispose of a human body, all you'd have to do is throw it in a chicken coop overnight. (Shades of Unintended Consequences---did Henry Bowman get it WRONG? :shock: :) ) He said they'd even break up the skull and eat the bone chips! I don't know about breaking up a skull, but I have no doubt that they would eat anything that could be fit into their mouths and down their throats.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, and I'll bet all the while they're eating that dead body, they're thinking it tastes just like chicken, too. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts