Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,Planning my first purchase of a Garand from the CMP.Wondering is it just simple as bringing all the required paperwork with me to the north store to purchase the rifle.Planning to do a side trip there on my travels before i head down south.Is it that simple or is there more to it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nope, that's about it. Bring proof of club membership, prrof of your "shooting" (FFL/CCW/etc) requirement and proof of citizenship - that's it. Have fun looking at the racks and racks of Garands. CMP will have barrel gauges available for you to use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live an hour and a half from the North Store and finally made my first trip there last month. You can print out the paper work from the CMP site and fill it out before hand. You need to have your signature noterized on one form and I did that at my bank. They will do if for you at the North Store too. The staff is very helpful and it sure if fun picking through all the rifles.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Another helpful thing to take along with you is a small flashlight and a large towel . The light is helpful with the lighting in the store that can irritate the eyes after a while . The towel ?, that's for wrapping under your chin to keep drool off of all the rifles your're gonna want to buy . It works for me :wink: :lol:

Jack

·
Registered
914 Posts
the store has a borelight availible, rod and patches so you can swab out the bore, as well as the gauges, although it isn't needed as the tags on the rifles give a true indicication on the barrel wear on the M1s.....you need them for the 03s as there is no tag on those.

·
Registered
128 Posts
slow fire said:
although it isn't needed as the tags on the rifles give a true indicication on the barrel wear on the M1s.....you need them for the 03s as there is no tag on those.
This past Saturday, the workers were just pulling them out of the back and laying the on the rack. They were tagged, but had no numbers on the tags. FWIW, I think the MW gauge at the store is a little worn - I purchased a new set of gauges from them last month and I seem to get slightly better MW readings from my gauge than theirs.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Engineer said:
slow fire said:
although it isn't needed as the tags on the rifles give a true indicication on the barrel wear on the M1s.....you need them for the 03s as there is no tag on those.
This past Saturday, the workers were just pulling them out of the back and laying the on the rack. They were tagged, but had no numbers on the tags. FWIW, I think the MW gauge at the store is a little worn - I purchased a new set of gauges from them last month and I seem to get slightly better MW readings from my gauge than theirs.
Engineer,
What did you and Knobcreek get this time? :D

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
the gauges at the store do get worn and replaced. many people jam them in the barrel way too hard.:roll: they had one guy who chambered the muzzle gauge. :eek: :eek: they've had a couple sets stolen too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Jacobite said:
Keep me from looking it up what is LMR?
LMR barrels were manufactured by Line Materials Corporation. I guess they were commonly used on IHC rifles, but H&R used them as well. One of the guys working there told me to look for the punch mark (firing proof) as that was a good sign of an original barrel.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Engineer said:
Jacobite said:
Keep me from looking it up what is LMR?
LMR barrels were manufactured by Line Materials Corporation. I guess they were commonly used on IHC rifles, but H&R used them as well. One of the guys working there told me to look for the punch mark (firing proof) as that was a good sign of an original barrel.
Thanks Engnieer I have a book now, not Duff's but still a pretty good one but I didn't feel like looking it up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Jacobite said:
Engineer,
Now, why does everybody think that just because we go to the CMP store, we have to go home with a new purchase??? To answer your question, I came home with another H&R with a very gorgeous orangish European stock that won my heart. :p Been spending the last couple of nights stripping it down and restaining a golden pecan color. Still have a ways to go, but it gives me something to do to stay out of trouble.

·
Registered
592 Posts
knobcreek said:
Jacobite said:
Engineer,
Now, why does everybody think that just because we go to the CMP store, we have to go home with a new purchase??? To answer your question, I came home with another H&R with a very gorgeous orangish European stock that won my heart. :p Been spending the last couple of nights stripping it down and restaining a golden pecan color. Still have a ways to go, but it gives me something to do to stay out of trouble.
Well because we know the two of you. :D How did the quest to get one rebarreled to .308 go?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well, Fulton Armory wasn't going to open up shop until around 3 PM that day, and since Engineer and I were there around 8:40ish, we weren't willing to stay too long. We shopped at Springfield's, Armalite's and a couple other shops before making our way back. May just order a barrel online and find someone to install it at a later time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.