Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When they came out a friend bought one, it was probably the worst 22 revolver I ever tried to shoot. Lousy accuracy, action and did not set a lot of good ammo off and timing was lousy!! We both laughed at it and he kept it in the glove compartment of his pickup. One day he had had enough and tossed it in a lake figuring that was where it belonged. He had tried to trade it off, but no dealer would take it. Colt did not make many before they dropped it from their line.

At Beinfields Antique Firearms and Knife Show a couple of years ago I saw one new in the box with a plastic strap holding the hammer down so no one would mess with the action. The Price was $2,500!!! I asked him about it and he stated that it was a very rare Colt and one of the most collectible.

Strange events surround "collectible" firearms.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Colt never made a .22LR Detective Special.

They made the Banker's Special in the pre-war days, and post-war they made the aluminum Cobra and Courier in .22LR.

If it was a Banker's Special, they are indeed high dollar collector's items.
If the one you bud owned had all those problems it was a badly abused gun.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
They made the Banker's Special in the pre-war days, and post-war they made the aluminum Cobra and Courier in .22LR.
Correct. The Courier may be even more rare than the Banker's Special. Sutherland states that only about 3000 were made. Production of the Bankers is much higher but they don't show a breakdown between the .22s and .38 S&W.

One of my real treasures is a 22 Banker's Special with King sights. I have never shot it, but the action is very slick... that may be due to King's efforts rather than Colt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sorry that I did not get the name of the model correct, I just looked at it and figured that was what it was as it looked like a smaller version of the Detective's Special.
I believe it would have been the courier, very light and the man selling it mentioned extremely limited production and it was definately post war. Thanks for correcting me!

My friend bought his new, could have been a fluke but it sure was not worth having. Until now if you did not shoot it and wanted to sell it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts