Gunhub.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need any info on the Colt 38 Super. I just got A Colt 1911 Government Late Model Stainless In 38 Super And Dieing To Warm It UP! I have had 45acp-9mm-10mm-.357 Sigs But This Is My First 38 Super. They say I'll love it and will want more. What is a Good Factory Type Ammo? What Target Grain Bullet Do I need For Punching Paper? What About A Good Defense Load? Any Info will Be Of Great Help! THANKS!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 1911 in Super .38 is a nifty thing. While I don't think any load you can fire in one (including converting it to 9X23) would equal the .45 ACP for defense, you sure wouldn't want to get in the way of one :)

Personally, if I were going to choose a factory defense load it would probably be the Win. Silver-Tip but there are likely some small manufacturers (Cor-Bon, Georgia Arms, Black Hills, etc) that have loads that I am not familiar with. If Triton ever gets back up and running (which does not sound likely) their proprietary 135 gr version of the Hornady bullet would be a natural!

Perhaps Fernando will start his own ammo company again - he had some pretty good ideas!

Best regards,
Jim Higginbotham

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello. I think you have a winner in the .38 Super. Even though I primarily shoot 9x19mm and .45 ACP, I've always had a soft spot for this round.

Yet, I've owned precisely one Colt 1911 Gov't Model chambered in it. (I stupidly sold it to a friend years ago complete with 12 extra magazines, quite a bit of reloading equipment for it, loaded ammunition, etc and now he won't sell it back!)

This was decades ago and I had S&W adjustable revolver sights fitted to the pistol as well as some other customization, but the gun would not group. At 25 yards from a rest, I might keep rounds on a piece of 8 1/2 X 11" paper!

Put a Bar-Sto bbl in it (headspaces on the case mouth) and the same loads' groups shrank very significantly. What went into about 9" before could be covered with a poker chip with the bbl change. I think the new guns headspace on the mouth as well so that might not be a problem.

Recoil's minimal for the power and the thing was death incarnate on varmints here in Texas.

I'll bet you really like it.

Best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts