Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some advice please.
I have been offered a Colt Anaconda 44 Mag. by a co-worker. He wants $700.00 for it. I have seen the gun and it is in like new condition with the original box and paperwork.

Is this a decent price and are there any reasons to stay away from this gun?

Thanks,

JBW

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would compare prices at gunbroker.com.
In my experience "Looks like new" and "Like new" are often divergent. People to new firearms are inexperienced in what to look for in a firearm. You have one post here. Have you owned a handgun before? If not .44 Magnum is an unwise choice for a first handgun. It will teach you to flinch and to anticipate recoil. Both are detrimental to marksmanship. I'm not saying don't buy it. I am suggesting that you choose wisely. Hopefully someone with experience with this model will be able to tell you want to look for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have owned (and own) many hand guns. I am sim[pply not familiar with particular this model. I have done some research already and was just looking for some additional input.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Actually there are several variations of the Anaconda and prices differ among them.

If we assume it is the standard production model made from 1990-1999 the "Blue Book" shows a value of $800 for one in 98% condition

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have owned an Anaconda, but mine was chambered for .45 Colt. I liked it, and wish I still had it. No idea as to current prices, though. Lots of web resources for that.
Personally speaking, I would want to examine any used revolver before I put any cash into it. Any number of problems could exist; end shake, bad lockup, timing off, etc. Be aware.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
These days all Colt double action revolvers are HOT and the Anaconda is one of the hottest with skyrocketing values.

An Anaconda in excellent condition for $700 is a real deal, especially with the original box.
Most that you see are selling for over $1000.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
jbw,

i used to carry a .44MAG 4" S&W Model 29 (which i got at A BARGAIN! - the PO was shooting .44MAG loads in it & "couldn't hit the side of a barn with it!" = FLINCHING, you understand.) as a LE duty weapon in the mid-1970s & shot "mid-range" HP-SWC lead .44SPL in it, which i found no more "offensive" in recoil/report than a hot .357MAG in a K-frame. ====> the .44SPL is a potent MANSTOPPER.
(i also had a personally-owned .44 carbine, that happily shot the same shells. - convienient.)

otoh, "full-power mag loads" were downright UNPLEASANT to shoot w/4" barrel.

if it's in GOOD shape (i would have it checked throughly by a gunsmith), buy it.

yours, sw

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe his is broke and need the Money. maybe it has nothing to do with the condition of the gun and all. Just try to check things before you make your final decision

1 - 9 of 9 Posts