Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unboxing and first look with shooting demonstation of a Colt 1911 Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911. What a joy to use!

Here's the video

From Colt's web site:

The Colt Gold Cup is known as the finest shooting semi-automatic in the world, and is the standard for competitive guns. The first Colt Gold Cup pistol was introduced in the late 1950's to give competitive shooters a gun to take directly from the dealer's showcase to the firing line. Colt Gold Cup pistols have been used to compete in local club matches through the National Matches at Camp Perry. It features an Adjustable Wide Trigger, National Match® Barrel, Adjustable Target Sights, and many other refinements as standard.

Features
Standard Safety Lock
Wide Target Trigger
Lowered and Flared Ejection Port
National Match® Barrel
Round Top Slide
Wrap Around Rubber Stocks with Nickel Medallions
Fully Adjustable Bomar Style Rear Sight
Target Post Front Sight

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
and who the f* wrote that- colt?- if u watch the competitive circuit,there's not many colts period, and it's not the gold cup ( WATCH OUT FOR THE REAR SIGHT LEAVING UNEXPECTEDLY) BUT THE GOVERNMENT MODEL and its clones(ie kimber et al) that are the standard- not to mention the customs built by les bear, Wilson and those folks-

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Once upon a time (up into the '70s, IMO), the claim that the Gold Cup was the best competition production GM was arguably valid. With the explosion of 'semi-custom' production houses, that argument is badly outdated, as t-star colorfully relates.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure it makes both you and t-star feel better about yourselves to share that. I've learned never to get into an argument with idiots, they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

;)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'm sure it makes both you and t-star feel better about yourselves to share that. I've learned never to get into an argument with idiots, they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

;)
Armsdorf, we sincerely hope you enjoy your pistol and get to shoot it often. :) However, expect outdated and/or over-the-top claims to be discussed and corrected. It's part of the learning process.

BTW, nice avatar photo. Catching the muzzle flash could not have been easy.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to worry, I'm used to typical gun forum "mine is bigger/better/newer/cooler/more awesome/shoots better than your's."

I choose to ignore such inane conversations.

:)

Re. muzzle flash...pulled it from video during editing.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Amsdorf, I hope you have a good time with your piece, it's a beautiful pistol.

As for the whole competition thing, well, maybe in time. Colt has had a bit of a rough run in some areas, and relations with the tourney folks may be one, but the last Gold Cup I handled was one heck of a gun on quality and feel.

In all practical considerations, I would be glad to have one! :)

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts

;)
I don't much appreciate you calling longtime and respected members Shep and T-Star "idiots," even in a backhanded way. Consider yourself on thin ice here, and I sincerely hope you can properly adjust your attitude.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Colt's Salesman said:
The Colt Gold Cup is known as the finest shooting semi-automatic in the world, and is the standard for competitive guns.
I'm sure Browning, Kimber, SIG, H&K, Beretta, GLOCK, Nighthawk, Les Baer, Dan Wesson, CZ, IMI, and on and on and on, might have something to say about that.

Make your case, attack the argument not the opponent. Use objective, reality based facts. Don't use your first post to say "mine is bigger, faster and better" then accuse the forum of doing just that. Take a while to look around, get the feel of the place and enjoy yourself but not at other's expense.

Best,

Ed

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Thanks for saying that snake...

The plain fact is that the Gold Cup is not now nor has it ever been on a par with a true bullseye gun. It is fine for recreational shooting and the new ones have a BoMar style sight that won't disappear and are also better than old ones in terms of accuracy. The last one I tested averaged 1.7" for 25 yd groups with three selected loads.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Charlie Petty; all,

FYI, the MOST accurate handgun that I've ever owned was a Gold Cup in 9mm Lugar.
(It will likely never be shot again in my life, as I traded it to a doctor from Ft Worth, for a NASH CONVERTIBLE, who has it in safety deposit box. - The one that I had was special-ordered for a TX Ranger SGT, as a birthday gift & carries his badge number for the serial #.)

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
ty snake- I happen to shoot a colt- a mk4- series 70- and the original , not the replica- I've seen a similar schpeil said about the "world class barrel with the ground breaking 4 finger bushing"- well, in real life and competition that "ground breaking bushing" BREAKS and the colt gold cup had a problem with the Ellison sight leaving for parts unknown- i'd seriously consider trading it for a kimber or les baer straight across- and mine has been worked on by clark-it has all the mods as suggested by john shaw with the except of the comped barrel- and it groups 1.5 at 25 if I hold steady- my load?- 200 grain h&g lead swc over 6.2 of 231- the old bowling pin load- as for me I coming up on 40 years of shooting- started off with the 1911 dead stock but in nickel ( it was one of the first model 70's ) and now it's FAR CHEAPER to get a kimber or custom right from the shop rather than build and modify- and everything works before it leaves the shop( you don't know how important that last bit is)

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
T-star: in fairness the newest guns are far better than the originals, or any of those made in the past. I have done many an accuracy job on them

The new one I tested functioned fine although it had a trigger pull that was far from match grade.

The Eliason sight is gone.

But you are absolutely right that a stock Kimber will do as well and one of Les' guns really is range ready...

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I had a Gold Cup years back, sold it to buy a house. I could never shoot it as well as it deserved. The guy who bought it regularly put five into one hole at the 25 yard line.

Geoff
Who remembers 1995 as a very strange year...

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
When the Gold Cup was introduced, it was an attempt to make a “poor man’s” match pistol. They were indeed more accurate than a standard 1911, triggers tended to be much better, and they made a nice shooting gun. As mentioned the Eliason sights did get you adjustable sights, but they did have a tendency to come off. While many match shooters did indeed shoot Gold Cups, the serious competitors would never be even competitive with a Gold Cup. For Bullseye competition you need to be able to shoot a MINIMUM of a 3” group at 50 yards. No Gold Cup I’m aware of ever came anywhere near that out of the box.

Gold Cups did gain a bit of a mystique about them because they were a service auto that was truly accurate. Clearly more accurate than most service autos of the ‘60’s & ‘70’s. By the ‘80’s more and more autos were exhibiting greater accuracy, but the “legend’ of the Gold Cup carried and my recollection was that the Gold Cup was a bit of a status symbol in the ‘80’s. But the Gold Cup was never a truly “match grade” pistol.

New Colt’s 1911’s are very nice guns though. I really think Colt’s is back and making guns that are as good or better than most other makers. Colt’s has always made excellent frames, slides, and barrels. The only parts in question were the internals, but newer Colt’s have downright decent internals these days.

So what is a Gold Cup Trophy if it’s not a “match gun”. It’s a well made 1911A1 with some very nice features. It will be a little more accurate than most, and fit and finish will be a bit superior to the offerings of other makers at the same or similar price point.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
That is very good Kevin and I basically agree.

It was a good beginners bullseye gun but it took a complete accuracy job to make them truly competitive.

A sad truth was that many proponents of the Gold Cup were not aware of what a really good gun could do or, perhaps, not shoot well enough to know.

Colt's marketing was aimed at that population so the mystique grew largely unchallenged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts